gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org

Communication tool for the GBW Board of Directors

View all threads

"About" page on website

GP
GBW President
Wed, Mar 27, 2024 7:09 PM

Hi everyone,
It was brought to our attention from a member that the wording on the About
page on the website could use some updating.

"The Guild still believes, as did its founders, that there is a
responsibility among civilized people to sustain the crafts involved with
the production of fine books. Its members hope to broaden public awareness
of the hand book arts, to stimulate commissions of fine bindings, and to
stress the need for sound book conservation and restoration."

With the Guild's focus on DEI, this word choice could be seen as
inappropriate and offensive and could use some updating. Todd brought this
to my attention and shared the concern with the DEI committee as well. The
alternatives of "makers" or "artisans" were proposed, but I wanted to bring
this to you for suggestions before changing it. If anyone happens to know
where this came from or who wrote it, it would be good information to have.

I'd like to change this soon, so if you can let me know your thoughts on
the matter in the next few days, that would be appreciated.

Thanks so much,
Kate

--
Kate Levy (she/her)
President, Guild of Bookworkers

[...]
EG
eliza gilligan
Wed, Mar 27, 2024 7:55 PM

Could we just eliminate the first sentence altogether?

Change the next sentence to the verbage below and add it to the end of the
previous paragraph- my 2 cents-- eliza

Its members are still dedicated to broadening public awareness of the hand
book arts, stimulating the commissions of fine bindings, and stressing the
need for sound book conservation and restoration.

On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 3:46 PM GBW President <
president@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote:

[...]

Could we just eliminate the first sentence altogether? Change the next sentence to the verbage below and add it to the end of the previous paragraph- my 2 cents-- eliza Its members are still dedicated to broadening public awareness of the hand book arts, stimulating the commissions of fine bindings, and stressing the need for sound book conservation and restoration. On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 3:46 PM GBW President < president@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote: > Hi everyone, > It was brought to our attention from a member that the wording on the > About page on the website could use some updating. > > "The Guild still believes, as did its founders, that there is a > responsibility among civilized people to sustain the crafts involved with > the production of fine books. Its members hope to broaden public awareness > of the hand book arts, to stimulate commissions of fine bindings, and to > stress the need for sound book conservation and restoration." > > With the Guild's focus on DEI, this word choice could be seen as > inappropriate and offensive and could use some updating. Todd brought this > to my attention and shared the concern with the DEI committee as well. The > alternatives of "makers" or "artisans" were proposed, but I wanted to bring > this to you for suggestions before changing it. If anyone happens to know > where this came from or who wrote it, it would be good information to have. > > I'd like to change this soon, so if you can let me know your thoughts on > the matter in the next few days, that would be appreciated. > > Thanks so much, > Kate > > -- > Kate Levy (she/her) > President, Guild of Bookworkers > 505.263.3209 | president@guildofbookworkers.org > _______________________________________________ > GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org > To unsubscribe send an email to gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >
LH
Larry Houston
Wed, Mar 27, 2024 9:40 PM

Updating the language of the website sounds great!

To answer your question about its history, the verbiage comes from at least
2009
https://web.archive.org/web/20090720060918/http://www.guildofbookworkers.org/about/index.php
but
is not part of the Bylaws or official documents as far as I can tell.

Note that the language is also used in other locations which may warrant
updates for consistency:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guild_of_Bookworkers

Guild of Book Workers | Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/groups/bookworkers (under About)

https://www.archives.gov/research/alic/reference/books-related-links

https://www.romoe.com/de/artikel/guildofbookworkers-org_k7v44vj1.html

Larry Houston
Treasurer, GBW
cell 920-246-0103

On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 3:55 PM eliza gilligan elizamariegilligan@gmail.com
wrote:

[...]

Updating the language of the website sounds great! To answer your question about its history, the verbiage comes from at least 2009 <https://web.archive.org/web/20090720060918/http://www.guildofbookworkers.org/about/index.php> but is not part of the Bylaws or official documents as far as I can tell. Note that the language is also used in other locations which may warrant updates for consistency: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guild_of_Bookworkers Guild of Book Workers | Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/groups/bookworkers> (under About) https://www.archives.gov/research/alic/reference/books-related-links https://www.romoe.com/de/artikel/guildofbookworkers-org_k7v44vj1.html Larry Houston Treasurer, GBW cell 920-246-0103 On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 3:55 PM eliza gilligan <elizamariegilligan@gmail.com> wrote: > Could we just eliminate the first sentence altogether? > > Change the next sentence to the verbage below and add it to the end of the > previous paragraph- my 2 cents-- eliza > > Its members are still dedicated to broadening public awareness of the hand > book arts, stimulating the commissions of fine bindings, and stressing the > need for sound book conservation and restoration. > > On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 3:46 PM GBW President < > president@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote: > >> Hi everyone, >> It was brought to our attention from a member that the wording on the >> About page on the website could use some updating. >> >> "The Guild still believes, as did its founders, that there is a >> responsibility among civilized people to sustain the crafts involved >> with the production of fine books. Its members hope to broaden public >> awareness of the hand book arts, to stimulate commissions of fine bindings, >> and to stress the need for sound book conservation and restoration." >> >> With the Guild's focus on DEI, this word choice could be seen as >> inappropriate and offensive and could use some updating. Todd brought this >> to my attention and shared the concern with the DEI committee as well. The >> alternatives of "makers" or "artisans" were proposed, but I wanted to bring >> this to you for suggestions before changing it. If anyone happens to know >> where this came from or who wrote it, it would be good information to have. >> >> I'd like to change this soon, so if you can let me know your thoughts on >> the matter in the next few days, that would be appreciated. >> >> Thanks so much, >> Kate >> >> -- >> Kate Levy (she/her) >> President, Guild of Bookworkers >> 505.263.3209 | president@guildofbookworkers.org >> _______________________________________________ >> GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org >> To unsubscribe send an email to gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >> > _______________________________________________ > GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org > To unsubscribe send an email to gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >
SC
Susie Cobbledick
Wed, Mar 27, 2024 9:55 PM

Folks—

I agree that this language is dated, and perhaps it is a sign of progress that it jumps out at us now. I picture this text being written in an Arts and Crafts House some time in the early 20th century, when the civilizing promise of colonialism was being touted by the colonizers.

I like Eliza’s suggestions, especially since it mentions conservation. I have one suggestion for a change, but I don’t’ feel very strongly about it—maybe remove the word “still.” It makes us sound a bit . . . desperate, pleading?

Thanks for finding this.

Susie Cobbledick
Book Conservator
Missouri Botanical Garden Library
GBWJ Co-editor

On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 3:46 PM GBW President <president@guildofbookworkers.orgmailto:president@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote:
[...]

505.263.3209 | president@guildofbookworkers.orgmailto:president@guildofbookworkers.org

Folks— I agree that this language is dated, and perhaps it is a sign of progress that it jumps out at us now. I picture this text being written in an Arts and Crafts House some time in the early 20th century, when the civilizing promise of colonialism was being touted by the colonizers. I like Eliza’s suggestions, especially since it mentions conservation. I have one suggestion for a change, but I don’t’ feel very strongly about it—maybe remove the word “still.” It makes us sound a bit . . . desperate, pleading? Thanks for finding this. Susie Cobbledick Book Conservator Missouri Botanical Garden Library GBWJ Co-editor From: Larry Houston <treasurer@guildofbookworkers.org> Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2024 4:41 PM To: Communication tool for the GBW Board of Directors <gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org> Subject: [GBW_EXEC] Re: "About" page on website Updating the language of the website sounds great! To answer your question about its history, the verbiage comes from at least 2009<https://web.archive.org/web/20090720060918/http:/www.guildofbookworkers.org/about/index.php> but is not part of the Bylaws or official documents as far as I can tell. Note that the language is also used in other locations which may warrant updates for consistency: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guild_of_Bookworkers Guild of Book Workers | Facebook<https://www.facebook.com/groups/bookworkers> (under About) https://www.archives.gov/research/alic/reference/books-related-links https://www.romoe.com/de/artikel/guildofbookworkers-org_k7v44vj1.html Larry Houston Treasurer, GBW cell 920-246-0103 On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 3:55 PM eliza gilligan <elizamariegilligan@gmail.com<mailto:elizamariegilligan@gmail.com>> wrote: Could we just eliminate the first sentence altogether? Change the next sentence to the verbage below and add it to the end of the previous paragraph- my 2 cents-- eliza Its members are still dedicated to broadening public awareness of the hand book arts, stimulating the commissions of fine bindings, and stressing the need for sound book conservation and restoration. On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 3:46 PM GBW President <president@guildofbookworkers.org<mailto:president@guildofbookworkers.org>> wrote: Hi everyone, It was brought to our attention from a member that the wording on the About page on the website could use some updating. "The Guild still believes, as did its founders, that there is a responsibility among civilized people to sustain the crafts involved with the production of fine books. Its members hope to broaden public awareness of the hand book arts, to stimulate commissions of fine bindings, and to stress the need for sound book conservation and restoration." With the Guild's focus on DEI, this word choice could be seen as inappropriate and offensive and could use some updating. Todd brought this to my attention and shared the concern with the DEI committee as well. The alternatives of "makers" or "artisans" were proposed, but I wanted to bring this to you for suggestions before changing it. If anyone happens to know where this came from or who wrote it, it would be good information to have. I'd like to change this soon, so if you can let me know your thoughts on the matter in the next few days, that would be appreciated. Thanks so much, Kate -- Kate Levy (she/her) President, Guild of Bookworkers 505.263.3209 | president@guildofbookworkers.org<mailto:president@guildofbookworkers.org> _______________________________________________ GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org<mailto:gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org> To unsubscribe send an email to gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org<mailto:gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org> _______________________________________________ GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org<mailto:gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org> To unsubscribe send an email to gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org<mailto:gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org>
TP
Todd Pattison
Thu, Mar 28, 2024 12:55 PM

Kate,

Thank you so much for getting this conversation started and I really
appreciate that this was brought to the Board's attention by our membership.

I would be fine with shortening the two sentences into one, possibly with
something like this:

Our members are committed to sustaining the crafts involved with the
production of fine books while striving to broaden public awareness of the
hand book arts, stimulate commissions of fine bindings, and stress the need
for sound book conservation and restoration.

Just a suggestion.
Todd

On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 5:41 PM Larry Houston <
treasurer@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote:

[...]

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

*Todd Pattison *(he/him)

Vice President, Guild of Book Workers

781.921.9186 | vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org

Kate, Thank you so much for getting this conversation started and I really appreciate that this was brought to the Board's attention by our membership. I would be fine with shortening the two sentences into one, possibly with something like this: Our members are committed to sustaining the crafts involved with the production of fine books while striving to broaden public awareness of the hand book arts, stimulate commissions of fine bindings, and stress the need for sound book conservation and restoration. Just a suggestion. Todd On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 5:41 PM Larry Houston < treasurer@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote: > Updating the language of the website sounds great! > > > To answer your question about its history, the verbiage comes from at > least 2009 > <https://web.archive.org/web/20090720060918/http://www.guildofbookworkers.org/about/index.php> but > is not part of the Bylaws or official documents as far as I can tell. > > > Note that the language is also used in other locations which may warrant > updates for consistency: > > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guild_of_Bookworkers > > Guild of Book Workers | Facebook > <https://www.facebook.com/groups/bookworkers> (under About) > > https://www.archives.gov/research/alic/reference/books-related-links > > https://www.romoe.com/de/artikel/guildofbookworkers-org_k7v44vj1.html > > > Larry Houston > Treasurer, GBW > cell 920-246-0103 > > > On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 3:55 PM eliza gilligan < > elizamariegilligan@gmail.com> wrote: > >> Could we just eliminate the first sentence altogether? >> >> Change the next sentence to the verbage below and add it to the end of >> the previous paragraph- my 2 cents-- eliza >> >> Its members are still dedicated to broadening public awareness of the >> hand book arts, stimulating the commissions of fine bindings, and stressing >> the need for sound book conservation and restoration. >> >> On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 3:46 PM GBW President < >> president@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote: >> >>> Hi everyone, >>> It was brought to our attention from a member that the wording on the >>> About page on the website could use some updating. >>> >>> "The Guild still believes, as did its founders, that there is a >>> responsibility among civilized people to sustain the crafts involved >>> with the production of fine books. Its members hope to broaden public >>> awareness of the hand book arts, to stimulate commissions of fine bindings, >>> and to stress the need for sound book conservation and restoration." >>> >>> With the Guild's focus on DEI, this word choice could be seen as >>> inappropriate and offensive and could use some updating. Todd brought this >>> to my attention and shared the concern with the DEI committee as well. The >>> alternatives of "makers" or "artisans" were proposed, but I wanted to bring >>> this to you for suggestions before changing it. If anyone happens to know >>> where this came from or who wrote it, it would be good information to have. >>> >>> I'd like to change this soon, so if you can let me know your thoughts on >>> the matter in the next few days, that would be appreciated. >>> >>> Thanks so much, >>> Kate >>> >>> -- >>> Kate Levy (she/her) >>> President, Guild of Bookworkers >>> 505.263.3209 | president@guildofbookworkers.org >>> _______________________________________________ >>> GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org >>> To unsubscribe send an email to >>> gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >>> >> _______________________________________________ >> GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org >> To unsubscribe send an email to gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >> > _______________________________________________ > GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org > To unsubscribe send an email to gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org > -- /////////////////////////////////////////////////////// *Todd Pattison *(he/him) Vice President, Guild of Book Workers 781.921.9186 | vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org
GN
GBW Newsletter Editor
Thu, Mar 28, 2024 4:41 PM

Hi everyone,

It is such a worthy discussion we're having! Here are a few thoughts on the
single paragraph that Todd posted above.

  • The word "fine" may seem elitist.
  • As a book artist in the steadily increasing realm of all things
    book-arts-related, I am inserting a mention.

Perhaps a DEI and/or Communications Committee could grind out a couple of
options over the next month or so and present them to the Board. I would be
happy to join the Committee on an ad hoc basis to chime in.

Perhaps something like this for now?
Our members are committed to sustaining the crafts involved with the
production of books while striving to broaden public awareness of handmade
books and related arts, stimulate commissions of bindings and book-adjacent
work, and stress the need for sound book conservation and restoration.

Kind regards,

Bridget

On Thu, Mar 28, 2024 at 5:55 AM Todd Pattison <
vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote:

[...]

Newsletter Committee
Guild of Book Workers Newsletter

Hi everyone, It is such a worthy discussion we're having! Here are a few thoughts on the single paragraph that Todd posted above. - The word "fine" may seem elitist. - As a book artist in the steadily increasing realm of all things book-arts-related, I am inserting a mention. Perhaps a DEI and/or Communications Committee could grind out a couple of options over the next month or so and present them to the Board. I would be happy to join the Committee on an ad hoc basis to chime in. *Perhaps something like this for now?* Our members are committed to sustaining the crafts involved with the production of books while striving to broaden public awareness of handmade books and related arts, stimulate commissions of bindings and book-adjacent work, and stress the need for sound book conservation and restoration. Kind regards, Bridget On Thu, Mar 28, 2024 at 5:55 AM Todd Pattison < vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote: > Kate, > > Thank you so much for getting this conversation started and I really > appreciate that this was brought to the Board's attention by our membership. > > I would be fine with shortening the two sentences into one, possibly with > something like this: > > Our members are committed to sustaining the crafts involved with the > production of fine books while striving to broaden public awareness of the > hand book arts, stimulate commissions of fine bindings, and stress the need > for sound book conservation and restoration. > > Just a suggestion. > Todd > > > On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 5:41 PM Larry Houston < > treasurer@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote: > >> Updating the language of the website sounds great! >> >> >> To answer your question about its history, the verbiage comes from at >> least 2009 >> <https://web.archive.org/web/20090720060918/http://www.guildofbookworkers.org/about/index.php> but >> is not part of the Bylaws or official documents as far as I can tell. >> >> >> Note that the language is also used in other locations which may warrant >> updates for consistency: >> >> >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guild_of_Bookworkers >> >> Guild of Book Workers | Facebook >> <https://www.facebook.com/groups/bookworkers> (under About) >> >> https://www.archives.gov/research/alic/reference/books-related-links >> >> https://www.romoe.com/de/artikel/guildofbookworkers-org_k7v44vj1.html >> >> >> Larry Houston >> Treasurer, GBW >> cell 920-246-0103 >> >> >> On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 3:55 PM eliza gilligan < >> elizamariegilligan@gmail.com> wrote: >> >>> Could we just eliminate the first sentence altogether? >>> >>> Change the next sentence to the verbage below and add it to the end of >>> the previous paragraph- my 2 cents-- eliza >>> >>> Its members are still dedicated to broadening public awareness of the >>> hand book arts, stimulating the commissions of fine bindings, and stressing >>> the need for sound book conservation and restoration. >>> >>> On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 3:46 PM GBW President < >>> president@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote: >>> >>>> Hi everyone, >>>> It was brought to our attention from a member that the wording on the >>>> About page on the website could use some updating. >>>> >>>> "The Guild still believes, as did its founders, that there is a >>>> responsibility among civilized people to sustain the crafts involved >>>> with the production of fine books. Its members hope to broaden public >>>> awareness of the hand book arts, to stimulate commissions of fine bindings, >>>> and to stress the need for sound book conservation and restoration." >>>> >>>> With the Guild's focus on DEI, this word choice could be seen as >>>> inappropriate and offensive and could use some updating. Todd brought this >>>> to my attention and shared the concern with the DEI committee as well. The >>>> alternatives of "makers" or "artisans" were proposed, but I wanted to bring >>>> this to you for suggestions before changing it. If anyone happens to know >>>> where this came from or who wrote it, it would be good information to have. >>>> >>>> I'd like to change this soon, so if you can let me know your thoughts >>>> on the matter in the next few days, that would be appreciated. >>>> >>>> Thanks so much, >>>> Kate >>>> >>>> -- >>>> Kate Levy (she/her) >>>> President, Guild of Bookworkers >>>> 505.263.3209 | president@guildofbookworkers.org >>>> _______________________________________________ >>>> GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org >>>> To unsubscribe send an email to >>>> gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >>>> >>> _______________________________________________ >>> GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org >>> To unsubscribe send an email to >>> gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >>> >> _______________________________________________ >> GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org >> To unsubscribe send an email to gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >> > > > -- > > /////////////////////////////////////////////////////// > > > > *Todd Pattison *(he/him) > > Vice President, Guild of Book Workers > > 781.921.9186 | vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org > _______________________________________________ > GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org > To unsubscribe send an email to gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org > -- Newsletter Committee Guild of Book Workers Newsletter
GN
GBW Newsletter Editor
Fri, Mar 29, 2024 11:06 PM

As an afterthought, how about changing "fine" to "design"?

Have a nice weekend everyone.

Bridget

Newsletter Committeeguildofbookworkers.org

On Mar 28, 2024, at 5:55 AM, Todd Pattison <vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote:

Kate,

Thank you so much for getting this conversation started and I really appreciate that this was brought to the Board's attention by our membership.

I would be fine with shortening the two sentences into one, possibly with something like this:

Our members are committed to sustaining the crafts involved with the production of fine books while striving to broaden public awareness of the hand book arts, stimulate commissions of fine bindings, and stress the need for sound book conservation and restoration.

Just a suggestion.

Todd

On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 5:41 PM Larry Houston <treasurer@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote:

Updating the language of the website sounds great!

To answer your question about its history, the verbiage comes from at least 2009 but is not part of the Bylaws or official documents as far as I can tell.

Note that the language is also used in other locations which may warrant updates for consistency:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guild_of_Bookworkers

Guild of Book Workers | Facebook (under About)

[...]

jafenton67@gmail.com
Sun, Mar 31, 2024 9:09 PM

HI-

I am not particularly good at word-smithing…but I agree that the language should be updated. Todd’s suggestion looks fine to me.  Maybe tweaking “…production of fine books…” to address the fine vs design aspect of our business. Maybe “…production of fine books, artists’ books and design bindings”.

But like I said, I am not the word-smithin’ type.

Jodee Fenton, NW Chapter

505.263.3209 |  mailto:president@guildofbookworkers.org president@guildofbookworkers.org

--

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

781.921.9186 | vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org mailto:vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org

--

HI- I am not particularly good at word-smithing…but I agree that the language should be updated. Todd’s suggestion looks fine to me. Maybe tweaking “…production of fine books…” to address the fine vs design aspect of our business. Maybe “…production of fine books, artists’ books and design bindings”. But like I said, I am not the word-smithin’ type. Jodee Fenton, NW Chapter From: GBW Newsletter Editor <newsletter@guildofbookworkers.org> Sent: Friday, March 29, 2024 4:06 PM To: Communication tool for the GBW Board of Directors <gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org> Subject: [GBW_EXEC] Re: "About" page on website As an afterthought, how about changing "fine" to "design"? Have a nice weekend everyone. Bridget Newsletter Committee guildofbookworkers.org On Mar 28, 2024, at 5:55 AM, Todd Pattison <vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org <mailto:vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org> > wrote:  Kate, Thank you so much for getting this conversation started and I really appreciate that this was brought to the Board's attention by our membership. I would be fine with shortening the two sentences into one, possibly with something like this: Our members are committed to sustaining the crafts involved with the production of fine books while striving to broaden public awareness of the hand book arts, stimulate commissions of fine bindings, and stress the need for sound book conservation and restoration. Just a suggestion. Todd On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 5:41 PM Larry Houston <treasurer@guildofbookworkers.org <mailto:treasurer@guildofbookworkers.org> > wrote: Updating the language of the website sounds great! To answer your question about its history, the verbiage comes from at least 2009 <https://web.archive.org/web/20090720060918/http:/www.guildofbookworkers.org/about/index.php> but is not part of the Bylaws or official documents as far as I can tell. Note that the language is also used in other locations which may warrant updates for consistency: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guild_of_Bookworkers Guild of Book Workers | Facebook <https://www.facebook.com/groups/bookworkers> (under About) https://www.archives.gov/research/alic/reference/books-related-links https://www.romoe.com/de/artikel/guildofbookworkers-org_k7v44vj1.html Larry Houston Treasurer, GBW cell 920-246-0103 On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 3:55 PM eliza gilligan <elizamariegilligan@gmail.com <mailto:elizamariegilligan@gmail.com> > wrote: Could we just eliminate the first sentence altogether? Change the next sentence to the verbage below and add it to the end of the previous paragraph- my 2 cents-- eliza Its members are still dedicated to broadening public awareness of the hand book arts, stimulating the commissions of fine bindings, and stressing the need for sound book conservation and restoration. On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 3:46 PM GBW President <president@guildofbookworkers.org <mailto:president@guildofbookworkers.org> > wrote: Hi everyone, It was brought to our attention from a member that the wording on the About page on the website could use some updating. "The Guild still believes, as did its founders, that there is a responsibility among civilized people to sustain the crafts involved with the production of fine books. Its members hope to broaden public awareness of the hand book arts, to stimulate commissions of fine bindings, and to stress the need for sound book conservation and restoration." With the Guild's focus on DEI, this word choice could be seen as inappropriate and offensive and could use some updating. Todd brought this to my attention and shared the concern with the DEI committee as well. The alternatives of "makers" or "artisans" were proposed, but I wanted to bring this to you for suggestions before changing it. If anyone happens to know where this came from or who wrote it, it would be good information to have. I'd like to change this soon, so if you can let me know your thoughts on the matter in the next few days, that would be appreciated. Thanks so much, Kate -- Kate Levy (she/her) President, Guild of Bookworkers 505.263.3209 | <mailto:president@guildofbookworkers.org> president@guildofbookworkers.org _______________________________________________ GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org <mailto:gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org> To unsubscribe send an email to gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org <mailto:gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org> _______________________________________________ GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org <mailto:gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org> To unsubscribe send an email to gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org <mailto:gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org> _______________________________________________ GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org <mailto:gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org> To unsubscribe send an email to gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org <mailto:gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org> -- /////////////////////////////////////////////////////// Todd Pattison (he/him) Vice President, Guild of Book Workers 781.921.9186 | vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org <mailto:vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org> _______________________________________________ GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org <mailto:gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org> To unsubscribe send an email to gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org <mailto:gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org> -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Northwest Chapter" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to northwestgroup+unsubscribe@guildofbookworkers.org <mailto:northwestgroup+unsubscribe@guildofbookworkers.org> .
MB

Excellent discussion! Happy to make all the edits online once we settle on
our language. Here's my go at it...

The Guild upholds the belief that we all share in the
responsibility to sustain the crafts involved with the production of hand
bound books. Its members hope to broaden public awareness of the book arts,
to stimulate the commissions of bindings, and to stress the need for sound
book conservation and restoration.

Marianna

On Sun, Mar 31, 2024 at 5:09 PM jafenton67@gmail.com wrote:

[...]

Communications Chair for the Guild of Book Workers

Excellent discussion! Happy to make all the edits online once we settle on our language. Here's my go at it... The Guild upholds the belief that we all share in the responsibility to sustain the crafts involved with the production of hand bound books. Its members hope to broaden public awareness of the book arts, to stimulate the commissions of bindings, and to stress the need for sound book conservation and restoration. Marianna On Sun, Mar 31, 2024 at 5:09 PM <jafenton67@gmail.com> wrote: > HI- > > I am not particularly good at word-smithing…but I agree that the language > should be updated. Todd’s suggestion looks fine to me. Maybe tweaking > “…production of fine books…” to address the fine vs design aspect of our > business. Maybe “…production of fine books, artists’ books and design > bindings”. > > But like I said, I am not the word-smithin’ type. > > > > Jodee Fenton, NW Chapter > > > > *From:* GBW Newsletter Editor <newsletter@guildofbookworkers.org> > *Sent:* Friday, March 29, 2024 4:06 PM > *To:* Communication tool for the GBW Board of Directors < > gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org> > *Subject:* [GBW_EXEC] Re: "About" page on website > > > > As an afterthought, how about changing "fine" to "design"? > > > > Have a nice weekend everyone. > > > > Bridget > > > > Newsletter Committee > > guildofbookworkers.org > > > > On Mar 28, 2024, at 5:55 AM, Todd Pattison < > vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote: > >  > > Kate, > > > > Thank you so much for getting this conversation started and I really > appreciate that this was brought to the Board's attention by our membership. > > > > I would be fine with shortening the two sentences into one, possibly with > something like this: > > > > Our members are committed to sustaining the crafts involved with the > production of fine books while striving to broaden public awareness of the > hand book arts, stimulate commissions of fine bindings, and stress the need > for sound book conservation and restoration. > > > > Just a suggestion. > > Todd > > > > > > On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 5:41 PM Larry Houston < > treasurer@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote: > > Updating the language of the website sounds great! > > > > To answer your question about its history, the verbiage comes from at > least 2009 > <https://web.archive.org/web/20090720060918/http:/www.guildofbookworkers.org/about/index.php> but > is not part of the Bylaws or official documents as far as I can tell. > > > > Note that the language is also used in other locations which may warrant > updates for consistency: > > > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guild_of_Bookworkers > > Guild of Book Workers | Facebook > <https://www.facebook.com/groups/bookworkers> (under About) > > https://www.archives.gov/research/alic/reference/books-related-links > > https://www.romoe.com/de/artikel/guildofbookworkers-org_k7v44vj1.html > > > > Larry Houston > > Treasurer, GBW > > cell 920-246-0103 > > > > > > On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 3:55 PM eliza gilligan < > elizamariegilligan@gmail.com> wrote: > > Could we just eliminate the first sentence altogether? > > > > Change the next sentence to the verbage below and add it to the end of the > previous paragraph- my 2 cents-- eliza > > > > Its members are still dedicated to broadening public awareness of the hand > book arts, stimulating the commissions of fine bindings, and stressing the > need for sound book conservation and restoration. > > > > On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 3:46 PM GBW President < > president@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote: > > Hi everyone, > > It was brought to our attention from a member that the wording on the > About page on the website could use some updating. > > > > "The Guild still believes, as did its founders, that there is a > responsibility among civilized people to sustain the crafts involved with > the production of fine books. Its members hope to broaden public awareness > of the hand book arts, to stimulate commissions of fine bindings, and to > stress the need for sound book conservation and restoration." > > > > With the Guild's focus on DEI, this word choice could be seen as > inappropriate and offensive and could use some updating. Todd brought this > to my attention and shared the concern with the DEI committee as well. The > alternatives of "makers" or "artisans" were proposed, but I wanted to bring > this to you for suggestions before changing it. If anyone happens to know > where this came from or who wrote it, it would be good information to have. > > > > I'd like to change this soon, so if you can let me know your thoughts on > the matter in the next few days, that would be appreciated. > > > > Thanks so much, > > Kate > > > > -- > > Kate Levy (she/her) > > President, Guild of Bookworkers > > 505.263.3209 | president@guildofbookworkers.org > > _______________________________________________ > GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org > To unsubscribe send an email to gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org > > _______________________________________________ > GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org > To unsubscribe send an email to gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org > > _______________________________________________ > GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org > To unsubscribe send an email to gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org > > > > > -- > > /////////////////////////////////////////////////////// > > > > *Todd Pattison *(he/him) > > Vice President, Guild of Book Workers > > 781.921.9186 | vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org > > _______________________________________________ > GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org > To unsubscribe send an email to gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org > > -- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "Northwest Chapter" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > email to northwestgroup+unsubscribe@guildofbookworkers.org. > _______________________________________________ > GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org > To unsubscribe send an email to gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org > -- ___________________________________________________________ Communications Chair for the Guild of Book Workers
EG
Eliza Gilligan
Sat, Apr 6, 2024 4:25 PM

Now that we've had a few days, what do we think?  Don't want to let this
one slip through the cracks.

I'm good with Marianna's suggestion although I would like to specify
"design binding" instead of just "bindings"

eliza

On Mon, Apr 1, 2024 at 2:29 PM Marianna Brotherton Crabbs <
communications@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote:

[...]

Now that we've had a few days, what do we think? Don't want to let this one slip through the cracks. I'm good with Marianna's suggestion although I would like to specify "design binding" instead of just "bindings" eliza On Mon, Apr 1, 2024 at 2:29 PM Marianna Brotherton Crabbs < communications@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote: > Excellent discussion! Happy to make all the edits online once we settle on > our language. Here's my go at it... > > > The Guild upholds the belief that we all share in the > responsibility to sustain the crafts involved with the production of hand > bound books. Its members hope to broaden public awareness of the book arts, > to stimulate the commissions of bindings, and to stress the need for sound > book conservation and restoration. > > Marianna > > > > On Sun, Mar 31, 2024 at 5:09 PM <jafenton67@gmail.com> wrote: > >> HI- >> >> I am not particularly good at word-smithing…but I agree that the language >> should be updated. Todd’s suggestion looks fine to me. Maybe tweaking >> “…production of fine books…” to address the fine vs design aspect of our >> business. Maybe “…production of fine books, artists’ books and design >> bindings”. >> >> But like I said, I am not the word-smithin’ type. >> >> >> >> Jodee Fenton, NW Chapter >> >> >> >> *From:* GBW Newsletter Editor <newsletter@guildofbookworkers.org> >> *Sent:* Friday, March 29, 2024 4:06 PM >> *To:* Communication tool for the GBW Board of Directors < >> gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org> >> *Subject:* [GBW_EXEC] Re: "About" page on website >> >> >> >> As an afterthought, how about changing "fine" to "design"? >> >> >> >> Have a nice weekend everyone. >> >> >> >> Bridget >> >> >> >> Newsletter Committee >> >> guildofbookworkers.org >> >> >> >> On Mar 28, 2024, at 5:55 AM, Todd Pattison < >> vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote: >> >>  >> >> Kate, >> >> >> >> Thank you so much for getting this conversation started and I really >> appreciate that this was brought to the Board's attention by our membership. >> >> >> >> I would be fine with shortening the two sentences into one, possibly with >> something like this: >> >> >> >> Our members are committed to sustaining the crafts involved with the >> production of fine books while striving to broaden public awareness of the >> hand book arts, stimulate commissions of fine bindings, and stress the need >> for sound book conservation and restoration. >> >> >> >> Just a suggestion. >> >> Todd >> >> >> >> >> >> On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 5:41 PM Larry Houston < >> treasurer@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote: >> >> Updating the language of the website sounds great! >> >> >> >> To answer your question about its history, the verbiage comes from at >> least 2009 >> <https://web.archive.org/web/20090720060918/http:/www.guildofbookworkers.org/about/index.php> but >> is not part of the Bylaws or official documents as far as I can tell. >> >> >> >> Note that the language is also used in other locations which may warrant >> updates for consistency: >> >> >> >> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guild_of_Bookworkers >> >> Guild of Book Workers | Facebook >> <https://www.facebook.com/groups/bookworkers> (under About) >> >> https://www.archives.gov/research/alic/reference/books-related-links >> >> https://www.romoe.com/de/artikel/guildofbookworkers-org_k7v44vj1.html >> >> >> >> Larry Houston >> >> Treasurer, GBW >> >> cell 920-246-0103 >> >> >> >> >> >> On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 3:55 PM eliza gilligan < >> elizamariegilligan@gmail.com> wrote: >> >> Could we just eliminate the first sentence altogether? >> >> >> >> Change the next sentence to the verbage below and add it to the end of >> the previous paragraph- my 2 cents-- eliza >> >> >> >> Its members are still dedicated to broadening public awareness of the >> hand book arts, stimulating the commissions of fine bindings, and stressing >> the need for sound book conservation and restoration. >> >> >> >> On Wed, Mar 27, 2024 at 3:46 PM GBW President < >> president@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote: >> >> Hi everyone, >> >> It was brought to our attention from a member that the wording on the >> About page on the website could use some updating. >> >> >> >> "The Guild still believes, as did its founders, that there is a >> responsibility among civilized people to sustain the crafts involved >> with the production of fine books. Its members hope to broaden public >> awareness of the hand book arts, to stimulate commissions of fine bindings, >> and to stress the need for sound book conservation and restoration." >> >> >> >> With the Guild's focus on DEI, this word choice could be seen as >> inappropriate and offensive and could use some updating. Todd brought this >> to my attention and shared the concern with the DEI committee as well. The >> alternatives of "makers" or "artisans" were proposed, but I wanted to bring >> this to you for suggestions before changing it. If anyone happens to know >> where this came from or who wrote it, it would be good information to have. >> >> >> >> I'd like to change this soon, so if you can let me know your thoughts on >> the matter in the next few days, that would be appreciated. >> >> >> >> Thanks so much, >> >> Kate >> >> >> >> -- >> >> Kate Levy (she/her) >> >> President, Guild of Bookworkers >> >> 505.263.3209 | president@guildofbookworkers.org >> >> _______________________________________________ >> GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org >> To unsubscribe send an email to gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >> >> _______________________________________________ >> GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org >> To unsubscribe send an email to gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >> >> _______________________________________________ >> GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org >> To unsubscribe send an email to gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >> >> >> >> >> -- >> >> /////////////////////////////////////////////////////// >> >> >> >> *Todd Pattison *(he/him) >> >> Vice President, Guild of Book Workers >> >> 781.921.9186 | vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org >> >> _______________________________________________ >> GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org >> To unsubscribe send an email to gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >> >> -- >> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups >> "Northwest Chapter" group. >> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an >> email to northwestgroup+unsubscribe@guildofbookworkers.org. >> _______________________________________________ >> GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org >> To unsubscribe send an email to gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >> > > > -- > ___________________________________________________________ > Communications Chair for the Guild of Book Workers > _______________________________________________ > GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org > To unsubscribe send an email to gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >