gbwchap@list.guildofbookworkers.org

Communication tool for the GBW Chapter Chairs

View all threads

Next chapter chair meeting

HH
Henry Hébert
Mon, May 9, 2022 5:44 PM

Hey folks,

This spring has been busier than expected, so I'm a little late getting
this together. I'm hoping we can find a good time to gather for our next
chapter chair meeting.

*Here's a poll for some days at the end of May/beginning of June: *
https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/bDkO2Dna
https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/bDkO2Dna

Please indicate your availability by end of day Friday, May 13th.

With the different time zones and some folks not able to join us during
their 9-5, it's tricky to find something during the week. I hate for folks
to have to sacrifice their weekends, but that may be all that we can get.

I'd like to focus this meeting on documentation. This can include
everything from policy documents, position descriptions, transition
manuals, shared account management, etc. What strategies have you employed
that are working well? What are your pain points? Start thinking about what
you would like to share and questions you may have for the group. If you
have examples of good documentation that you would be willing to share,
please bring to the meeting or post here. Obviously just make sure there
isn't any sensitive information inside first.

Thanks all!
HH

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

*Henry Hebert *(he/him)

Vice President, Guild of Book Workers

919.360.3425 | vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org

Hey folks, This spring has been busier than expected, so I'm a little late getting this together. I'm hoping we can find a good time to gather for our next chapter chair meeting. *Here's a poll for some days at the end of May/beginning of June: * *https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/bDkO2Dna* <https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/bDkO2Dna> *Please indicate your availability by end of day Friday, May 13th.* With the different time zones and some folks not able to join us during their 9-5, it's tricky to find something during the week. I hate for folks to have to sacrifice their weekends, but that may be all that we can get. I'd like to focus this meeting on documentation. This can include everything from policy documents, position descriptions, transition manuals, shared account management, etc. What strategies have you employed that are working well? What are your pain points? Start thinking about what you would like to share and questions you may have for the group. If you have examples of good documentation that you would be willing to share, please bring to the meeting or post here. Obviously just make sure there isn't any sensitive information inside first. Thanks all! HH /////////////////////////////////////////////////////// *Henry Hebert *(he/him) Vice President, Guild of Book Workers 919.360.3425 | vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org
jafenton67@gmail.com
Tue, May 10, 2022 2:55 AM

Hi Henry-Just completed the doodle poll. Looking forward to getting together!

Jodee

NW Chapter

[...]

919.360.3425 | vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org mailto:vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org

Hi Henry-Just completed the doodle poll. Looking forward to getting together! Jodee NW Chapter From: Henry Hébert <vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org> Sent: Monday, May 9, 2022 11:45 AM To: Communication tool for the GBW Chapter Chairs <gbwchap@list.guildofbookworkers.org> Subject: [GBW_Chapters] Next chapter chair meeting Hey folks, This spring has been busier than expected, so I'm a little late getting this together. I'm hoping we can find a good time to gather for our next chapter chair meeting. Here's a poll for some days at the end of May/beginning of June: <https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/bDkO2Dna> https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/bDkO2Dna Please indicate your availability by end of day Friday, May 13th. With the different time zones and some folks not able to join us during their 9-5, it's tricky to find something during the week. I hate for folks to have to sacrifice their weekends, but that may be all that we can get. I'd like to focus this meeting on documentation. This can include everything from policy documents, position descriptions, transition manuals, shared account management, etc. What strategies have you employed that are working well? What are your pain points? Start thinking about what you would like to share and questions you may have for the group. If you have examples of good documentation that you would be willing to share, please bring to the meeting or post here. Obviously just make sure there isn't any sensitive information inside first. Thanks all! HH /////////////////////////////////////////////////////// Henry Hebert (he/him) Vice President, Guild of Book Workers 919.360.3425 | vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org <mailto:vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org>
DV
Delaware Valley Chapter
Thu, May 12, 2022 2:25 PM

HI Henry,
This is a topic very near and dear to my heart!  (Well, not really...)
Unfortunately, I can see the preferred dates for this upcoming meeting are
when I will be in California visiting my family.  So, I thought I would
take a moment to write up a few thoughts on this topic.  I look forward to
either seeing the recording of the meeting or reading the minutes.

I have actually been really good about saving everything in organized
folders for the past sixteen years that I have been chapter chair. (First
using Dropbox, now Google)  Every photo, document, flyer, membership list,
newsletter, meeting minutes, etc.  I am going to step down as chapter chair
soon and plan to spend whatever time it takes to get our new
chapter co-chairs up to speed with the Google folders and email account.
What has felt daunting to me is the requirement that every year I was
supposed to send multiple paper files to the secretary who would then send
them to Iowa (I think).  I have understood for a while that this
requirement is part of our Chapter Guidelines and Bexx has rightfully asked
me to do it.  But I have not complied.  For one thing, it will be a pretty
big task to undertake, since I wasn't aware I was supposed to do it for the
first half of my tenure as chapter chair.  (yes, I should have read the
Chapter Guidelines more carefully.) For another, I am under the impression
that very few of the other chapters have done this.  A while back, I was
told that the GBW Secretary would print out a bunch of stuff for me, but
when I approached her about it, she wasn't aware that this was her
responsibility.

Back in 2017, I had a back and forth with the then-secretary Katy and also
Bexx about the archives.  I used the Archival Guidelines in the Chapter
Handbook and wrote up some comments.  Bexx was very open to making changes
to the guidelines and suggested that Brien, Katy, and I put our heads
together to make them.  But I am sorry to say, we (I?) dropped the ball and
no changes were made to the Archival Guidelines. Below are the notes I
wrote back then (red).  In re-reading them, I made a few changes for
clarity:

List of officers of the Chapter - We put a list of officers in every
chapter newsletter and in our chapter annual report, so I think we can skip
this.

The Annual Report (Chair?) - I send these to the Secretary every year.

Any Chapter reports in the GBW Newsletter - I send the reports to the
Newsletter editor in the text of an email. It also feels redundant since
they appear in the GBW Newsletter.

The Chapter membership list (Secretary?) - I have saved every one of these
that I have ever downloaded. I have multiple reports per year. Do we really
want this?

The corrected, approved Minutes of Chapter meetings (Secretary?) I have
many of these in paper form and also many in digital form. I could print
them out and send them.

The Annual Budget (Treasurer?) Again, these are sent every year to the
treasurer. Do they submit them? For a long time they were a form that was
filled out by hand. I do not have copies of those.

The Financial Register of transactions (Treasurer?) Again, I wonder if the
GBW treasurer would have all this and be the one to submit it. I am not
sure I could provide this. Maybe.

The quarterly financial reports from the GBW treasurer (Treasurer?) I did
not save any of these over the years, but rather used them to balance our
statements. I will not be able to supply this.

Reports of Chapter events, meetings, programs, lectures, tours, workshops,
demonstrations, etc what, who, when, where, plus costs and comments - Each
workshop has a flyer with who, what, where, when, and costs and I could
print these out. We have had many workshops over the years. As far as
reports, I think our newsletters cover that as most workshops and events
were written up in the newsletter. We have never written up reports of
events as separate documents.

The signed contracts with presenters -We did not save copies of these, but
rather sent them off to the treasurer. At least that is what I think we
did. I will have to look into this. Maybe our current treasurer saves them.
I can check..

The complete set of Chapter Newsletters (Secretary or Newsletter Editor?) This
is something that I can see going to an archive in paper form and can make
copies of all of our newsletters.

Any exhibition catalogues I think I have all or most of these and will
happily send them to the archives.

Miscellaneous correspondence of special interest, either by mail or email. Any
articles in local media outlets about members or chapter activities - I
will look and see if I have anything. We had a promotional postcard made
and could send that.

Hope this isn't too annoying, Henry.  I very much want to do what is right
by my chapter and will soon have more time to deal with it when I retire.
Even if I am no longer chapter chair, I would still do what needs to be
done.  I just question that it ALL needs to go into the archive. If it is
too daunting, people just won't do it.  Like me, for example.

Thanks-

Jennifer

On Mon, May 9, 2022 at 1:45 PM Henry Hébert <
vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote:

[...]

HI Henry, This is a topic very near and dear to my heart! (Well, not really...) Unfortunately, I can see the preferred dates for this upcoming meeting are when I will be in California visiting my family. So, I thought I would take a moment to write up a few thoughts on this topic. I look forward to either seeing the recording of the meeting or reading the minutes. I have actually been really good about saving everything in organized folders for the past sixteen years that I have been chapter chair. (First using Dropbox, now Google) Every photo, document, flyer, membership list, newsletter, meeting minutes, etc. I am going to step down as chapter chair soon and plan to spend whatever time it takes to get our new chapter co-chairs up to speed with the Google folders and email account. What has felt daunting to me is the requirement that every year I was supposed to send multiple paper files to the secretary who would then send them to Iowa (I think). I have understood for a while that this requirement is part of our Chapter Guidelines and Bexx has rightfully asked me to do it. But I have not complied. For one thing, it will be a pretty big task to undertake, since I wasn't aware I was supposed to do it for the first half of my tenure as chapter chair. (yes, I should have read the Chapter Guidelines more carefully.) For another, I am under the impression that very few of the other chapters have done this. A while back, I was told that the GBW Secretary would print out a bunch of stuff for me, but when I approached her about it, she wasn't aware that this was her responsibility. Back in 2017, I had a back and forth with the then-secretary Katy and also Bexx about the archives. I used the Archival Guidelines in the Chapter Handbook and wrote up some comments. Bexx was very open to making changes to the guidelines and suggested that Brien, Katy, and I put our heads together to make them. But I am sorry to say, we (I?) dropped the ball and no changes were made to the Archival Guidelines. Below are the notes I wrote back then (red). In re-reading them, I made a few changes for clarity: List of officers of the Chapter - We put a list of officers in every chapter newsletter and in our chapter annual report, so I think we can skip this. The Annual Report (Chair?) - I send these to the Secretary every year. Any Chapter reports in the GBW Newsletter - I send the reports to the Newsletter editor in the text of an email. It also feels redundant since they appear in the GBW Newsletter. The Chapter membership list (Secretary?) - I have saved every one of these that I have ever downloaded. I have multiple reports per year. Do we really want this? The corrected, approved Minutes of Chapter meetings (Secretary?) I have many of these in paper form and also many in digital form. I could print them out and send them. The Annual Budget (Treasurer?) Again, these are sent every year to the treasurer. Do they submit them? For a long time they were a form that was filled out by hand. I do not have copies of those. The Financial Register of transactions (Treasurer?) Again, I wonder if the GBW treasurer would have all this and be the one to submit it. I am not sure I could provide this. Maybe. The quarterly financial reports from the GBW treasurer (Treasurer?) I did not save any of these over the years, but rather used them to balance our statements. I will not be able to supply this. Reports of Chapter events, meetings, programs, lectures, tours, workshops, demonstrations, etc what, who, when, where, plus costs and comments - Each workshop has a flyer with who, what, where, when, and costs and I could print these out. We have had many workshops over the years. As far as reports, I think our newsletters cover that as most workshops and events were written up in the newsletter. We have never written up reports of events as separate documents. The signed contracts with presenters -We did not save copies of these, but rather sent them off to the treasurer. At least that is what I think we did. I will have to look into this. Maybe our current treasurer saves them. I can check.. The complete set of Chapter Newsletters (Secretary or Newsletter Editor?) This is something that I can see going to an archive in paper form and can make copies of all of our newsletters. Any exhibition catalogues I think I have all or most of these and will happily send them to the archives. Miscellaneous correspondence of special interest, either by mail or email. Any articles in local media outlets about members or chapter activities - I will look and see if I have anything. We had a promotional postcard made and could send that. Hope this isn't too annoying, Henry. I very much want to do what is right by my chapter and will soon have more time to deal with it when I retire. Even if I am no longer chapter chair, I would still do what needs to be done. I just question that it ALL needs to go into the archive. If it is too daunting, people just won't do it. Like me, for example. Thanks- Jennifer On Mon, May 9, 2022 at 1:45 PM Henry Hébert < vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote: > Hey folks, > > This spring has been busier than expected, so I'm a little late getting > this together. I'm hoping we can find a good time to gather for our next > chapter chair meeting. > > *Here's a poll for some days at the end of May/beginning of June: * > *https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/bDkO2Dna* > <https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/bDkO2Dna> > > *Please indicate your availability by end of day Friday, May 13th.* > > With the different time zones and some folks not able to join us during > their 9-5, it's tricky to find something during the week. I hate for folks > to have to sacrifice their weekends, but that may be all that we can get. > > I'd like to focus this meeting on documentation. This can include > everything from policy documents, position descriptions, transition > manuals, shared account management, etc. What strategies have you employed > that are working well? What are your pain points? Start thinking about what > you would like to share and questions you may have for the group. If you > have examples of good documentation that you would be willing to share, > please bring to the meeting or post here. Obviously just make sure there > isn't any sensitive information inside first. > > Thanks all! > HH > > /////////////////////////////////////////////////////// > > > > *Henry Hebert *(he/him) > > Vice President, Guild of Book Workers > > 919.360.3425 | vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org > _______________________________________________ > GBWCHAP mailing list -- gbwchap@list.guildofbookworkers.org > To unsubscribe send an email to gbwchap-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >
HH
Henry Hébert
Sun, May 15, 2022 6:41 PM

Thanks for this, Jennifer! You raise some good points - specifically that
keeping up with documentation can be incredibly time consuming and why we
should periodically reflect on our policies to see if we are still doing
what's best. As you say, if the burden is too great no one will be able to
do it. We can discuss chapter archives a bit during the meeting. I agree
that we shouldn't be duplicating our efforts- like if information is
captured in the chapter newsletter and the newsletter is in the archive,
then we shouldn't be submitting another separate document, etc.

It looks like *Thursday, May 26th @ 7pm (ET) *is the most popular option. I
will record the meeting for the folks who can't attend and maybe we can
continue some of the discussion here on the listserv. Zoom info below. I
will share an agenda/notes document as we get closer, so we have a place to
put links to examples or if folks have specific issues they would like to
raise.

Looking forward to it,
HH

///////////////////////////////////////

Join Zoom Meeting
https://duke.zoom.us/j/99234428770?pwd=M1VnVCtLN2pRd1hLOEtGREx0dzZTUT09
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://duke.zoom.us/j/99234428770?pwd%3DM1VnVCtLN2pRd1hLOEtGREx0dzZTUT09&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw1D13RLBJiKzWPrzoczKyRo

Meeting ID: 992 3442 8770
Passcode: 928495
One tap mobile
+16468769923,,99234428770# US (New York)
+13017158592,,99234428770# US (Washington DC)

Dial by your location
+1 646 876 9923 US (New York)
+1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
Meeting ID: 992 3442 8770
Find your local number: https://duke.zoom.us/u/aemskY5rlK
https://www.google.com/url?q=https://duke.zoom.us/u/aemskY5rlK&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw3Kxef-98mhhYDHzkK5PpSd

Join by SIP
99234428770@zoomcrc.com

Join by H.323
162.255.37.11 (US West)
162.255.36.11 (US East)
115.114.131.7 (India Mumbai)
115.114.115.7 (India Hyderabad)
213.19.144.110 (Amsterdam Netherlands)
213.244.140.110 (Germany)
103.122.166.55 (Australia Sydney)
103.122.167.55 (Australia Melbourne)
149.137.40.110 (Singapore)
64.211.144.160 (Brazil)
149.137.68.253 (Mexico)
69.174.57.160 (Canada Toronto)
65.39.152.160 (Canada Vancouver)
207.226.132.110 (Japan Tokyo)
149.137.24.110 (Japan Osaka)
Meeting ID: 992 3442 8770
Passcode: 928495

On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 10:26 AM Delaware Valley Chapter <
delawarevalley@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote:

[...]

List of officers of the Chapter - We put a list of officers in every

--

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////

*Henry Hebert *(he/him)

Vice President, Guild of Book Workers

919.360.3425 | vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org

Thanks for this, Jennifer! You raise some good points - specifically that keeping up with documentation can be incredibly time consuming and why we should periodically reflect on our policies to see if we are still doing what's best. As you say, if the burden is too great no one will be able to do it. We can discuss chapter archives a bit during the meeting. I agree that we shouldn't be duplicating our efforts- like if information is captured in the chapter newsletter and the newsletter is in the archive, then we shouldn't be submitting another separate document, etc. It looks like *Thursday, May 26th @ 7pm (ET) *is the most popular option. I will record the meeting for the folks who can't attend and maybe we can continue some of the discussion here on the listserv. Zoom info below. I will share an agenda/notes document as we get closer, so we have a place to put links to examples or if folks have specific issues they would like to raise. Looking forward to it, HH /////////////////////////////////////// Join Zoom Meeting https://duke.zoom.us/j/99234428770?pwd=M1VnVCtLN2pRd1hLOEtGREx0dzZTUT09 <https://www.google.com/url?q=https://duke.zoom.us/j/99234428770?pwd%3DM1VnVCtLN2pRd1hLOEtGREx0dzZTUT09&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw1D13RLBJiKzWPrzoczKyRo> Meeting ID: 992 3442 8770 Passcode: 928495 One tap mobile +16468769923,,99234428770# US (New York) +13017158592,,99234428770# US (Washington DC) Dial by your location +1 646 876 9923 US (New York) +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC) +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago) +1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose) +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose) +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma) +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston) Meeting ID: 992 3442 8770 Find your local number: https://duke.zoom.us/u/aemskY5rlK <https://www.google.com/url?q=https://duke.zoom.us/u/aemskY5rlK&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw3Kxef-98mhhYDHzkK5PpSd> Join by SIP 99234428770@zoomcrc.com Join by H.323 162.255.37.11 (US West) 162.255.36.11 (US East) 115.114.131.7 (India Mumbai) 115.114.115.7 (India Hyderabad) 213.19.144.110 (Amsterdam Netherlands) 213.244.140.110 (Germany) 103.122.166.55 (Australia Sydney) 103.122.167.55 (Australia Melbourne) 149.137.40.110 (Singapore) 64.211.144.160 (Brazil) 149.137.68.253 (Mexico) 69.174.57.160 (Canada Toronto) 65.39.152.160 (Canada Vancouver) 207.226.132.110 (Japan Tokyo) 149.137.24.110 (Japan Osaka) Meeting ID: 992 3442 8770 Passcode: 928495 On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 10:26 AM Delaware Valley Chapter < delawarevalley@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote: > HI Henry, > This is a topic very near and dear to my heart! (Well, not really...) > Unfortunately, I can see the preferred dates for this upcoming meeting are > when I will be in California visiting my family. So, I thought I would > take a moment to write up a few thoughts on this topic. I look forward to > either seeing the recording of the meeting or reading the minutes. > > I have actually been really good about saving everything in organized > folders for the past sixteen years that I have been chapter chair. (First > using Dropbox, now Google) Every photo, document, flyer, membership list, > newsletter, meeting minutes, etc. I am going to step down as chapter chair > soon and plan to spend whatever time it takes to get our new > chapter co-chairs up to speed with the Google folders and email account. > What has felt daunting to me is the requirement that every year I was > supposed to send multiple paper files to the secretary who would then send > them to Iowa (I think). I have understood for a while that this > requirement is part of our Chapter Guidelines and Bexx has rightfully asked > me to do it. But I have not complied. For one thing, it will be a pretty > big task to undertake, since I wasn't aware I was supposed to do it for the > first half of my tenure as chapter chair. (yes, I should have read the > Chapter Guidelines more carefully.) For another, I am under the impression > that very few of the other chapters have done this. A while back, I was > told that the GBW Secretary would print out a bunch of stuff for me, but > when I approached her about it, she wasn't aware that this was her > responsibility. > > Back in 2017, I had a back and forth with the then-secretary Katy and also > Bexx about the archives. I used the Archival Guidelines in the Chapter > Handbook and wrote up some comments. Bexx was very open to making changes > to the guidelines and suggested that Brien, Katy, and I put our heads > together to make them. But I am sorry to say, we (I?) dropped the ball and > no changes were made to the Archival Guidelines. Below are the notes I > wrote back then (red). In re-reading them, I made a few changes for > clarity: > > List of officers of the Chapter - We put a list of officers in every > chapter newsletter and in our chapter annual report, so I think we can skip > this. > > The Annual Report (Chair?) - I send these to the Secretary every year. > > Any Chapter reports in the GBW Newsletter - I send the reports to the > Newsletter editor in the text of an email. It also feels redundant since > they appear in the GBW Newsletter. > > The Chapter membership list (Secretary?) - I have saved every one of > these that I have ever downloaded. I have multiple reports per year. Do we > really want this? > > The corrected, approved Minutes of Chapter meetings (Secretary?) I have > many of these in paper form and also many in digital form. I could print > them out and send them. > > The Annual Budget (Treasurer?) Again, these are sent every year to the > treasurer. Do they submit them? For a long time they were a form that was > filled out by hand. I do not have copies of those. > > The Financial Register of transactions (Treasurer?) Again, I wonder if > the GBW treasurer would have all this and be the one to submit it. I am > not sure I could provide this. Maybe. > > The quarterly financial reports from the GBW treasurer (Treasurer?) I did > not save any of these over the years, but rather used them to balance our > statements. I will not be able to supply this. > > Reports of Chapter events, meetings, programs, lectures, tours, > workshops, demonstrations, etc what, who, when, where, plus costs and > comments - Each workshop has a flyer with who, what, where, when, and > costs and I could print these out. We have had many workshops over the > years. As far as reports, I think our newsletters cover that as most > workshops and events were written up in the newsletter. We have never > written up reports of events as separate documents. > > The signed contracts with presenters -We did not save copies of these, > but rather sent them off to the treasurer. At least that is what I think we > did. I will have to look into this. Maybe our current treasurer saves them. > I can check.. > > The complete set of Chapter Newsletters (Secretary or Newsletter Editor?) This > is something that I can see going to an archive in paper form and can make > copies of all of our newsletters. > > Any exhibition catalogues I think I have all or most of these and will > happily send them to the archives. > > Miscellaneous correspondence of special interest, either by mail or email. Any > articles in local media outlets about members or chapter activities - I > will look and see if I have anything. We had a promotional postcard made > and could send that. > > Hope this isn't too annoying, Henry. I very much want to do what is right > by my chapter and will soon have more time to deal with it when I retire. > Even if I am no longer chapter chair, I would still do what needs to be > done. I just question that it ALL needs to go into the archive. If it is > too daunting, people just won't do it. Like me, for example. > > Thanks- > > Jennifer > > > On Mon, May 9, 2022 at 1:45 PM Henry Hébert < > vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote: > >> Hey folks, >> >> This spring has been busier than expected, so I'm a little late getting >> this together. I'm hoping we can find a good time to gather for our next >> chapter chair meeting. >> >> *Here's a poll for some days at the end of May/beginning of June: * >> *https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/bDkO2Dna* >> <https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/bDkO2Dna> >> >> *Please indicate your availability by end of day Friday, May 13th.* >> >> With the different time zones and some folks not able to join us during >> their 9-5, it's tricky to find something during the week. I hate for folks >> to have to sacrifice their weekends, but that may be all that we can get. >> >> I'd like to focus this meeting on documentation. This can include >> everything from policy documents, position descriptions, transition >> manuals, shared account management, etc. What strategies have you employed >> that are working well? What are your pain points? Start thinking about what >> you would like to share and questions you may have for the group. If you >> have examples of good documentation that you would be willing to share, >> please bring to the meeting or post here. Obviously just make sure there >> isn't any sensitive information inside first. >> >> Thanks all! >> HH >> >> /////////////////////////////////////////////////////// >> >> >> >> *Henry Hebert *(he/him) >> >> Vice President, Guild of Book Workers >> >> 919.360.3425 | vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org >> _______________________________________________ >> GBWCHAP mailing list -- gbwchap@list.guildofbookworkers.org >> To unsubscribe send an email to gbwchap-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >> > _______________________________________________ > GBWCHAP mailing list -- gbwchap@list.guildofbookworkers.org > To unsubscribe send an email to gbwchap-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org > -- /////////////////////////////////////////////////////// *Henry Hebert *(he/him) Vice President, Guild of Book Workers 919.360.3425 | vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org
HH
Henry Hébert
Tue, May 24, 2022 3:07 PM

As promised, here is your agenda/notes document:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1g-ezjJ4dd4ikmZhlBPqW8EH2fSA3xxu2TjgId3ZXn4s/edit?usp=sharing

You should be able to edit, so feel free to add topics that you'd like to
discuss or share examples of good documentation. I've included some links
to existing GBW documentation, with which you are hopefully already
familiar but it's good to have a reminder. I've also included a link to a
redacted version of AIC's Book and Paper Group handbook that I worked on
and shared with all the different specialty group officers a couple of
years ago. It's quite long, but worth a look to see how it's structured.

I'll record the meeting and share a link here for folks who may not be able
to attend on Thursday.

Looking forward to seeing you all there!
HH

On Sun, May 15, 2022 at 2:41 PM Henry Hébert <
[...]

List of officers of the Chapter - We put a list of officers in every
[...]

As promised, here is your agenda/notes document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1g-ezjJ4dd4ikmZhlBPqW8EH2fSA3xxu2TjgId3ZXn4s/edit?usp=sharing You should be able to edit, so feel free to add topics that you'd like to discuss or share examples of good documentation. I've included some links to existing GBW documentation, with which you are hopefully already familiar but it's good to have a reminder. I've also included a link to a redacted version of AIC's Book and Paper Group handbook that I worked on and shared with all the different specialty group officers a couple of years ago. It's quite long, but worth a look to see how it's structured. I'll record the meeting and share a link here for folks who may not be able to attend on Thursday. Looking forward to seeing you all there! HH On Sun, May 15, 2022 at 2:41 PM Henry Hébert < vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote: > Thanks for this, Jennifer! You raise some good points - specifically that > keeping up with documentation can be incredibly time consuming and why we > should periodically reflect on our policies to see if we are still doing > what's best. As you say, if the burden is too great no one will be able to > do it. We can discuss chapter archives a bit during the meeting. I agree > that we shouldn't be duplicating our efforts- like if information is > captured in the chapter newsletter and the newsletter is in the archive, > then we shouldn't be submitting another separate document, etc. > > It looks like *Thursday, May 26th @ 7pm (ET) *is the most popular option. > I will record the meeting for the folks who can't attend and maybe we can > continue some of the discussion here on the listserv. Zoom info below. I > will share an agenda/notes document as we get closer, so we have a place to > put links to examples or if folks have specific issues they would like to > raise. > > Looking forward to it, > HH > > > /////////////////////////////////////// > > Join Zoom Meeting > https://duke.zoom.us/j/99234428770?pwd=M1VnVCtLN2pRd1hLOEtGREx0dzZTUT09 > <https://www.google.com/url?q=https://duke.zoom.us/j/99234428770?pwd%3DM1VnVCtLN2pRd1hLOEtGREx0dzZTUT09&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw1D13RLBJiKzWPrzoczKyRo> > > Meeting ID: 992 3442 8770 > Passcode: 928495 > One tap mobile > +16468769923,,99234428770# US (New York) > +13017158592,,99234428770# US (Washington DC) > > Dial by your location > +1 646 876 9923 US (New York) > +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC) > +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago) > +1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose) > +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose) > +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma) > +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston) > Meeting ID: 992 3442 8770 > Find your local number: https://duke.zoom.us/u/aemskY5rlK > <https://www.google.com/url?q=https://duke.zoom.us/u/aemskY5rlK&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw3Kxef-98mhhYDHzkK5PpSd> > > Join by SIP > 99234428770@zoomcrc.com > > Join by H.323 > 162.255.37.11 (US West) > 162.255.36.11 (US East) > 115.114.131.7 (India Mumbai) > 115.114.115.7 (India Hyderabad) > 213.19.144.110 (Amsterdam Netherlands) > 213.244.140.110 (Germany) > 103.122.166.55 (Australia Sydney) > 103.122.167.55 (Australia Melbourne) > 149.137.40.110 (Singapore) > 64.211.144.160 (Brazil) > 149.137.68.253 (Mexico) > 69.174.57.160 (Canada Toronto) > 65.39.152.160 (Canada Vancouver) > 207.226.132.110 (Japan Tokyo) > 149.137.24.110 (Japan Osaka) > Meeting ID: 992 3442 8770 > Passcode: 928495 > > > > > On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 10:26 AM Delaware Valley Chapter < > delawarevalley@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote: > >> HI Henry, >> This is a topic very near and dear to my heart! (Well, not really...) >> Unfortunately, I can see the preferred dates for this upcoming meeting are >> when I will be in California visiting my family. So, I thought I would >> take a moment to write up a few thoughts on this topic. I look forward to >> either seeing the recording of the meeting or reading the minutes. >> >> I have actually been really good about saving everything in organized >> folders for the past sixteen years that I have been chapter chair. (First >> using Dropbox, now Google) Every photo, document, flyer, membership list, >> newsletter, meeting minutes, etc. I am going to step down as chapter chair >> soon and plan to spend whatever time it takes to get our new >> chapter co-chairs up to speed with the Google folders and email account. >> What has felt daunting to me is the requirement that every year I was >> supposed to send multiple paper files to the secretary who would then send >> them to Iowa (I think). I have understood for a while that this >> requirement is part of our Chapter Guidelines and Bexx has rightfully asked >> me to do it. But I have not complied. For one thing, it will be a pretty >> big task to undertake, since I wasn't aware I was supposed to do it for the >> first half of my tenure as chapter chair. (yes, I should have read the >> Chapter Guidelines more carefully.) For another, I am under the impression >> that very few of the other chapters have done this. A while back, I was >> told that the GBW Secretary would print out a bunch of stuff for me, but >> when I approached her about it, she wasn't aware that this was her >> responsibility. >> >> Back in 2017, I had a back and forth with the then-secretary Katy and >> also Bexx about the archives. I used the Archival Guidelines in the >> Chapter Handbook and wrote up some comments. Bexx was very open to making >> changes to the guidelines and suggested that Brien, Katy, and I put our >> heads together to make them. But I am sorry to say, we (I?) dropped the >> ball and no changes were made to the Archival Guidelines. Below are the >> notes I wrote back then (red). In re-reading them, I made a few changes >> for clarity: >> >> List of officers of the Chapter - We put a list of officers in every >> chapter newsletter and in our chapter annual report, so I think we can skip >> this. >> >> The Annual Report (Chair?) - I send these to the Secretary every year. >> >> Any Chapter reports in the GBW Newsletter - I send the reports to the >> Newsletter editor in the text of an email. It also feels redundant since >> they appear in the GBW Newsletter. >> >> The Chapter membership list (Secretary?) - I have saved every one of >> these that I have ever downloaded. I have multiple reports per year. Do we >> really want this? >> >> The corrected, approved Minutes of Chapter meetings (Secretary?) I have >> many of these in paper form and also many in digital form. I could print >> them out and send them. >> >> The Annual Budget (Treasurer?) Again, these are sent every year to the >> treasurer. Do they submit them? For a long time they were a form that was >> filled out by hand. I do not have copies of those. >> >> The Financial Register of transactions (Treasurer?) Again, I wonder if >> the GBW treasurer would have all this and be the one to submit it. I am >> not sure I could provide this. Maybe. >> >> The quarterly financial reports from the GBW treasurer (Treasurer?) I >> did not save any of these over the years, but rather used them to balance >> our statements. I will not be able to supply this. >> >> Reports of Chapter events, meetings, programs, lectures, tours, >> workshops, demonstrations, etc what, who, when, where, plus costs and >> comments - Each workshop has a flyer with who, what, where, when, and >> costs and I could print these out. We have had many workshops over the >> years. As far as reports, I think our newsletters cover that as most >> workshops and events were written up in the newsletter. We have never >> written up reports of events as separate documents. >> >> The signed contracts with presenters -We did not save copies of these, >> but rather sent them off to the treasurer. At least that is what I think we >> did. I will have to look into this. Maybe our current treasurer saves them. >> I can check.. >> >> The complete set of Chapter Newsletters (Secretary or Newsletter Editor?) This >> is something that I can see going to an archive in paper form and can make >> copies of all of our newsletters. >> >> Any exhibition catalogues I think I have all or most of these and will >> happily send them to the archives. >> >> Miscellaneous correspondence of special interest, either by mail or >> email. Any articles in local media outlets about members or chapter >> activities - I will look and see if I have anything. We had a >> promotional postcard made and could send that. >> >> Hope this isn't too annoying, Henry. I very much want to do what is >> right by my chapter and will soon have more time to deal with it when I >> retire. Even if I am no longer chapter chair, I would still do what needs >> to be done. I just question that it ALL needs to go into the archive. If >> it is too daunting, people just won't do it. Like me, for example. >> >> Thanks- >> >> Jennifer >> >> >> On Mon, May 9, 2022 at 1:45 PM Henry Hébert < >> vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote: >> >>> Hey folks, >>> >>> This spring has been busier than expected, so I'm a little late getting >>> this together. I'm hoping we can find a good time to gather for our next >>> chapter chair meeting. >>> >>> *Here's a poll for some days at the end of May/beginning of June: * >>> *https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/bDkO2Dna* >>> <https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/bDkO2Dna> >>> >>> *Please indicate your availability by end of day Friday, May 13th.* >>> >>> With the different time zones and some folks not able to join us during >>> their 9-5, it's tricky to find something during the week. I hate for folks >>> to have to sacrifice their weekends, but that may be all that we can get. >>> >>> I'd like to focus this meeting on documentation. This can include >>> everything from policy documents, position descriptions, transition >>> manuals, shared account management, etc. What strategies have you employed >>> that are working well? What are your pain points? Start thinking about what >>> you would like to share and questions you may have for the group. If you >>> have examples of good documentation that you would be willing to share, >>> please bring to the meeting or post here. Obviously just make sure there >>> isn't any sensitive information inside first. >>> >>> Thanks all! >>> HH >>> >>> /////////////////////////////////////////////////////// >>> >>> >>> >>> *Henry Hebert *(he/him) >>> >>> Vice President, Guild of Book Workers >>> >>> 919.360.3425 | vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org >>> _______________________________________________ >>> GBWCHAP mailing list -- gbwchap@list.guildofbookworkers.org >>> To unsubscribe send an email to >>> gbwchap-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >>> >> _______________________________________________ >> GBWCHAP mailing list -- gbwchap@list.guildofbookworkers.org >> To unsubscribe send an email to gbwchap-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >> > > > -- > > /////////////////////////////////////////////////////// > > > > *Henry Hebert *(he/him) > > Vice President, Guild of Book Workers > > 919.360.3425 | vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org > -- /////////////////////////////////////////////////////// *Henry Hebert *(he/him) Vice President, Guild of Book Workers 919.360.3425 | vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org
SC
Southeast Chapter
Thu, May 26, 2022 1:56 PM

Hi, Henry—Unfortunately, I am unable to attend our chapter chairs’ meeting tonight.From our SE Chapter, we share and store documents on Google Drive. We have maintained a fairly accurate archive there for years, and all of us can access that documentation, equally.

Thanks so much for sharing a recording of the meeting!

As always,
Kim

On May 24, 2022, at 11:07 AM, Henry Hébert vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org wrote:

[...]

List of officers of the Chapter - We put a list of officers in every chapter newsletter and in our chapter annual report, so I think we can skip this.

[...]

Hi, Henry—Unfortunately, I am unable to attend our chapter chairs’ meeting tonight.From our SE Chapter, we share and store documents on Google Drive. We have maintained a fairly accurate archive there for years, and all of us can access that documentation, equally. Thanks so much for sharing a recording of the meeting! As always, Kim On May 24, 2022, at 11:07 AM, Henry Hébert <vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote:  As promised, here is your agenda/notes document: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1g-ezjJ4dd4ikmZhlBPqW8EH2fSA3xxu2TjgId3ZXn4s/edit?usp=sharing You should be able to edit, so feel free to add topics that you'd like to discuss or share examples of good documentation. I've included some links to existing GBW documentation, with which you are hopefully already familiar but it's good to have a reminder. I've also included a link to a redacted version of AIC's Book and Paper Group handbook that I worked on and shared with all the different specialty group officers a couple of years ago. It's quite long, but worth a look to see how it's structured. I'll record the meeting and share a link here for folks who may not be able to attend on Thursday. Looking forward to seeing you all there! HH On Sun, May 15, 2022 at 2:41 PM Henry Hébert <vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote: > Thanks for this, Jennifer! You raise some good points - specifically that keeping up with documentation can be incredibly time consuming and why we should periodically reflect on our policies to see if we are still doing what's best. As you say, if the burden is too great no one will be able to do it. We can discuss chapter archives a bit during the meeting. I agree that we shouldn't be duplicating our efforts- like if information is captured in the chapter newsletter and the newsletter is in the archive, then we shouldn't be submitting another separate document, etc. > > It looks like Thursday, May 26th @ 7pm (ET) is the most popular option. I will record the meeting for the folks who can't attend and maybe we can continue some of the discussion here on the listserv. Zoom info below. I will share an agenda/notes document as we get closer, so we have a place to put links to examples or if folks have specific issues they would like to raise. > > Looking forward to it, > HH > > > /////////////////////////////////////// > > Join Zoom Meeting > https://duke.zoom.us/j/99234428770?pwd=M1VnVCtLN2pRd1hLOEtGREx0dzZTUT09 > > Meeting ID: 992 3442 8770 > Passcode: 928495 > One tap mobile > +16468769923,,99234428770# US (New York) > +13017158592,,99234428770# US (Washington DC) > > Dial by your location > +1 646 876 9923 US (New York) > +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC) > +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago) > +1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose) > +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose) > +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma) > +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston) > Meeting ID: 992 3442 8770 > Find your local number: https://duke.zoom.us/u/aemskY5rlK > > Join by SIP > 99234428770@zoomcrc.com > > Join by H.323 > 162.255.37.11 (US West) > 162.255.36.11 (US East) > 115.114.131.7 (India Mumbai) > 115.114.115.7 (India Hyderabad) > 213.19.144.110 (Amsterdam Netherlands) > 213.244.140.110 (Germany) > 103.122.166.55 (Australia Sydney) > 103.122.167.55 (Australia Melbourne) > 149.137.40.110 (Singapore) > 64.211.144.160 (Brazil) > 149.137.68.253 (Mexico) > 69.174.57.160 (Canada Toronto) > 65.39.152.160 (Canada Vancouver) > 207.226.132.110 (Japan Tokyo) > 149.137.24.110 (Japan Osaka) > Meeting ID: 992 3442 8770 > Passcode: 928495 > > > > > On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 10:26 AM Delaware Valley Chapter <delawarevalley@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote: >> HI Henry, >> This is a topic very near and dear to my heart! (Well, not really...) Unfortunately, I can see the preferred dates for this upcoming meeting are when I will be in California visiting my family. So, I thought I would take a moment to write up a few thoughts on this topic. I look forward to either seeing the recording of the meeting or reading the minutes. >> >> I have actually been really good about saving everything in organized folders for the past sixteen years that I have been chapter chair. (First using Dropbox, now Google) Every photo, document, flyer, membership list, newsletter, meeting minutes, etc. I am going to step down as chapter chair soon and plan to spend whatever time it takes to get our new chapter co-chairs up to speed with the Google folders and email account. What has felt daunting to me is the requirement that every year I was supposed to send multiple paper files to the secretary who would then send them to Iowa (I think). I have understood for a while that this requirement is part of our Chapter Guidelines and Bexx has rightfully asked me to do it. But I have not complied. For one thing, it will be a pretty big task to undertake, since I wasn't aware I was supposed to do it for the first half of my tenure as chapter chair. (yes, I should have read the Chapter Guidelines more carefully.) For another, I am under the impression that very few of the other chapters have done this. A while back, I was told that the GBW Secretary would print out a bunch of stuff for me, but when I approached her about it, she wasn't aware that this was her responsibility. >> >> Back in 2017, I had a back and forth with the then-secretary Katy and also Bexx about the archives. I used the Archival Guidelines in the Chapter Handbook and wrote up some comments. Bexx was very open to making changes to the guidelines and suggested that Brien, Katy, and I put our heads together to make them. But I am sorry to say, we (I?) dropped the ball and no changes were made to the Archival Guidelines. Below are the notes I wrote back then (red). In re-reading them, I made a few changes for clarity: >> >> List of officers of the Chapter - We put a list of officers in every chapter newsletter and in our chapter annual report, so I think we can skip this. >> >> The Annual Report (Chair?) - I send these to the Secretary every year. >> >> Any Chapter reports in the GBW Newsletter - I send the reports to the Newsletter editor in the text of an email. It also feels redundant since they appear in the GBW Newsletter. >> >> The Chapter membership list (Secretary?) - I have saved every one of these that I have ever downloaded. I have multiple reports per year. Do we really want this? >> >> The corrected, approved Minutes of Chapter meetings (Secretary?) I have many of these in paper form and also many in digital form. I could print them out and send them. >> >> The Annual Budget (Treasurer?) Again, these are sent every year to the treasurer. Do they submit them? For a long time they were a form that was filled out by hand. I do not have copies of those. >> >> The Financial Register of transactions (Treasurer?) Again, I wonder if the GBW treasurer would have all this and be the one to submit it. I am not sure I could provide this. Maybe. >> >> The quarterly financial reports from the GBW treasurer (Treasurer?) I did not save any of these over the years, but rather used them to balance our statements. I will not be able to supply this. >> >> Reports of Chapter events, meetings, programs, lectures, tours, workshops, demonstrations, etc what, who, when, where, plus costs and comments - Each workshop has a flyer with who, what, where, when, and costs and I could print these out. We have had many workshops over the years. As far as reports, I think our newsletters cover that as most workshops and events were written up in the newsletter. We have never written up reports of events as separate documents. >> >> The signed contracts with presenters -We did not save copies of these, but rather sent them off to the treasurer. At least that is what I think we did. I will have to look into this. Maybe our current treasurer saves them. I can check.. >> >> The complete set of Chapter Newsletters (Secretary or Newsletter Editor?) This is something that I can see going to an archive in paper form and can make copies of all of our newsletters. >> >> Any exhibition catalogues I think I have all or most of these and will happily send them to the archives. >> >> Miscellaneous correspondence of special interest, either by mail or email. Any articles in local media outlets about members or chapter activities - I will look and see if I have anything. We had a promotional postcard made and could send that. >> >> Hope this isn't too annoying, Henry. I very much want to do what is right by my chapter and will soon have more time to deal with it when I retire. Even if I am no longer chapter chair, I would still do what needs to be done. I just question that it ALL needs to go into the archive. If it is too daunting, people just won't do it. Like me, for example. >> >> Thanks- >> >> Jennifer >> >> >> >> On Mon, May 9, 2022 at 1:45 PM Henry Hébert <vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote: >>> Hey folks, >>> >>> This spring has been busier than expected, so I'm a little late getting this together. I'm hoping we can find a good time to gather for our next chapter chair meeting. >>> >>> Here's a poll for some days at the end of May/beginning of June: >>> https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/bDkO2Dna >>> >>> Please indicate your availability by end of day Friday, May 13th. >>> >>> With the different time zones and some folks not able to join us during their 9-5, it's tricky to find something during the week. I hate for folks to have to sacrifice their weekends, but that may be all that we can get. >>> >>> I'd like to focus this meeting on documentation. This can include everything from policy documents, position descriptions, transition manuals, shared account management, etc. What strategies have you employed that are working well? What are your pain points? Start thinking about what you would like to share and questions you may have for the group. If you have examples of good documentation that you would be willing to share, please bring to the meeting or post here. Obviously just make sure there isn't any sensitive information inside first. >>> >>> Thanks all! >>> HH >>> >>> /////////////////////////////////////////////////////// >>> >>> >>> >>> Henry Hebert (he/him) >>> >>> Vice President, Guild of Book Workers >>> >>> 919.360.3425 | vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org >>> >>> _______________________________________________ >>> GBWCHAP mailing list -- gbwchap@list.guildofbookworkers.org >>> To unsubscribe send an email to gbwchap-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >> _______________________________________________ >> GBWCHAP mailing list -- gbwchap@list.guildofbookworkers.org >> To unsubscribe send an email to gbwchap-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org > > > -- > /////////////////////////////////////////////////////// > > > > Henry Hebert (he/him) > > Vice President, Guild of Book Workers > > 919.360.3425 | vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org > -- /////////////////////////////////////////////////////// Henry Hebert (he/him) Vice President, Guild of Book Workers 919.360.3425 | vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org _______________________________________________ GBWCHAP mailing list -- gbwchap@list.guildofbookworkers.org To unsubscribe send an email to gbwchap-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org
HH
Henry Hébert
Fri, May 27, 2022 1:02 AM

Thanks to everyone who was able to attend today's meeting. Here's the
recording for folks who couldn't join us:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1b27uF9Fka66n_i2UHXja2M9YC2c1bWsR?usp=sharing

I will follow up with more information about sending records to the
archive.
Have a good holiday,
HH

On Thu, May 26, 2022 at 9:56 AM Southeast Chapter <
southeast@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote:

[...]

List of officers of the Chapter - We put a list of officers in every

Thanks to everyone who was able to attend today's meeting. Here's the recording for folks who couldn't join us: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1b27uF9Fka66n_i2UHXja2M9YC2c1bWsR?usp=sharing I will follow up with more information about sending records to the archive. Have a good holiday, HH On Thu, May 26, 2022 at 9:56 AM Southeast Chapter < southeast@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote: > Hi, Henry—Unfortunately, I am unable to attend our chapter chairs’ meeting > tonight.From our SE Chapter, we share and store documents on Google Drive. > We have maintained a fairly accurate archive there for years, and all of us > can access that documentation, equally. > > Thanks so much for sharing a recording of the meeting! > > As always, > Kim > > > > > On May 24, 2022, at 11:07 AM, Henry Hébert < > vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote: > >  > As promised, here is your agenda/notes document: > > https://docs.google.com/document/d/1g-ezjJ4dd4ikmZhlBPqW8EH2fSA3xxu2TjgId3ZXn4s/edit?usp=sharing > > You should be able to edit, so feel free to add topics that you'd like to > discuss or share examples of good documentation. I've included some links > to existing GBW documentation, with which you are hopefully already > familiar but it's good to have a reminder. I've also included a link to a > redacted version of AIC's Book and Paper Group handbook that I worked on > and shared with all the different specialty group officers a couple of > years ago. It's quite long, but worth a look to see how it's structured. > > I'll record the meeting and share a link here for folks who may not be > able to attend on Thursday. > > Looking forward to seeing you all there! > HH > > On Sun, May 15, 2022 at 2:41 PM Henry Hébert < > vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote: > >> Thanks for this, Jennifer! You raise some good points - specifically that >> keeping up with documentation can be incredibly time consuming and why we >> should periodically reflect on our policies to see if we are still doing >> what's best. As you say, if the burden is too great no one will be able to >> do it. We can discuss chapter archives a bit during the meeting. I agree >> that we shouldn't be duplicating our efforts- like if information is >> captured in the chapter newsletter and the newsletter is in the archive, >> then we shouldn't be submitting another separate document, etc. >> >> It looks like *Thursday, May 26th @ 7pm (ET) *is the most popular >> option. I will record the meeting for the folks who can't attend and maybe >> we can continue some of the discussion here on the listserv. Zoom info >> below. I will share an agenda/notes document as we get closer, so we have a >> place to put links to examples or if folks have specific issues they would >> like to raise. >> >> Looking forward to it, >> HH >> >> >> /////////////////////////////////////// >> >> Join Zoom Meeting >> https://duke.zoom.us/j/99234428770?pwd=M1VnVCtLN2pRd1hLOEtGREx0dzZTUT09 >> <https://www.google.com/url?q=https://duke.zoom.us/j/99234428770?pwd%3DM1VnVCtLN2pRd1hLOEtGREx0dzZTUT09&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw1D13RLBJiKzWPrzoczKyRo> >> >> Meeting ID: 992 3442 8770 >> Passcode: 928495 >> One tap mobile >> +16468769923,,99234428770# US (New York) >> +13017158592,,99234428770# US (Washington DC) >> >> Dial by your location >> +1 646 876 9923 US (New York) >> +1 301 715 8592 US (Washington DC) >> +1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago) >> +1 408 638 0968 US (San Jose) >> +1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose) >> +1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma) >> +1 346 248 7799 US (Houston) >> Meeting ID: 992 3442 8770 >> Find your local number: https://duke.zoom.us/u/aemskY5rlK >> <https://www.google.com/url?q=https://duke.zoom.us/u/aemskY5rlK&sa=D&source=calendar&usd=2&usg=AOvVaw3Kxef-98mhhYDHzkK5PpSd> >> >> Join by SIP >> 99234428770@zoomcrc.com >> >> Join by H.323 >> 162.255.37.11 (US West) >> 162.255.36.11 (US East) >> 115.114.131.7 (India Mumbai) >> 115.114.115.7 (India Hyderabad) >> 213.19.144.110 (Amsterdam Netherlands) >> 213.244.140.110 (Germany) >> 103.122.166.55 (Australia Sydney) >> 103.122.167.55 (Australia Melbourne) >> 149.137.40.110 (Singapore) >> 64.211.144.160 (Brazil) >> 149.137.68.253 (Mexico) >> 69.174.57.160 (Canada Toronto) >> 65.39.152.160 (Canada Vancouver) >> 207.226.132.110 (Japan Tokyo) >> 149.137.24.110 (Japan Osaka) >> Meeting ID: 992 3442 8770 >> Passcode: 928495 >> >> >> >> >> On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 10:26 AM Delaware Valley Chapter < >> delawarevalley@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote: >> >>> HI Henry, >>> This is a topic very near and dear to my heart! (Well, not really...) >>> Unfortunately, I can see the preferred dates for this upcoming meeting are >>> when I will be in California visiting my family. So, I thought I would >>> take a moment to write up a few thoughts on this topic. I look forward to >>> either seeing the recording of the meeting or reading the minutes. >>> >>> I have actually been really good about saving everything in organized >>> folders for the past sixteen years that I have been chapter chair. (First >>> using Dropbox, now Google) Every photo, document, flyer, membership list, >>> newsletter, meeting minutes, etc. I am going to step down as chapter chair >>> soon and plan to spend whatever time it takes to get our new >>> chapter co-chairs up to speed with the Google folders and email account. >>> What has felt daunting to me is the requirement that every year I was >>> supposed to send multiple paper files to the secretary who would then send >>> them to Iowa (I think). I have understood for a while that this >>> requirement is part of our Chapter Guidelines and Bexx has rightfully asked >>> me to do it. But I have not complied. For one thing, it will be a pretty >>> big task to undertake, since I wasn't aware I was supposed to do it for the >>> first half of my tenure as chapter chair. (yes, I should have read the >>> Chapter Guidelines more carefully.) For another, I am under the impression >>> that very few of the other chapters have done this. A while back, I was >>> told that the GBW Secretary would print out a bunch of stuff for me, but >>> when I approached her about it, she wasn't aware that this was her >>> responsibility. >>> >>> Back in 2017, I had a back and forth with the then-secretary Katy and >>> also Bexx about the archives. I used the Archival Guidelines in the >>> Chapter Handbook and wrote up some comments. Bexx was very open to making >>> changes to the guidelines and suggested that Brien, Katy, and I put our >>> heads together to make them. But I am sorry to say, we (I?) dropped the >>> ball and no changes were made to the Archival Guidelines. Below are the >>> notes I wrote back then (red). In re-reading them, I made a few changes >>> for clarity: >>> >>> List of officers of the Chapter - We put a list of officers in every >>> chapter newsletter and in our chapter annual report, so I think we can skip >>> this. >>> >>> The Annual Report (Chair?) - I send these to the Secretary every year. >>> >>> Any Chapter reports in the GBW Newsletter - I send the reports to the >>> Newsletter editor in the text of an email. It also feels redundant since >>> they appear in the GBW Newsletter. >>> >>> The Chapter membership list (Secretary?) - I have saved every one of >>> these that I have ever downloaded. I have multiple reports per year. Do we >>> really want this? >>> >>> The corrected, approved Minutes of Chapter meetings (Secretary?) I have >>> many of these in paper form and also many in digital form. I could print >>> them out and send them. >>> >>> The Annual Budget (Treasurer?) Again, these are sent every year to the >>> treasurer. Do they submit them? For a long time they were a form that was >>> filled out by hand. I do not have copies of those. >>> >>> The Financial Register of transactions (Treasurer?) Again, I wonder if >>> the GBW treasurer would have all this and be the one to submit it. I am >>> not sure I could provide this. Maybe. >>> >>> The quarterly financial reports from the GBW treasurer (Treasurer?) I >>> did not save any of these over the years, but rather used them to balance >>> our statements. I will not be able to supply this. >>> >>> Reports of Chapter events, meetings, programs, lectures, tours, >>> workshops, demonstrations, etc what, who, when, where, plus costs and >>> comments - Each workshop has a flyer with who, what, where, when, and >>> costs and I could print these out. We have had many workshops over the >>> years. As far as reports, I think our newsletters cover that as most >>> workshops and events were written up in the newsletter. We have never >>> written up reports of events as separate documents. >>> >>> The signed contracts with presenters -We did not save copies of these, >>> but rather sent them off to the treasurer. At least that is what I think we >>> did. I will have to look into this. Maybe our current treasurer saves them. >>> I can check.. >>> >>> The complete set of Chapter Newsletters (Secretary or Newsletter >>> Editor?) This is something that I can see going to an archive in paper >>> form and can make copies of all of our newsletters. >>> >>> Any exhibition catalogues I think I have all or most of these and will >>> happily send them to the archives. >>> >>> Miscellaneous correspondence of special interest, either by mail or >>> email. Any articles in local media outlets about members or chapter >>> activities - I will look and see if I have anything. We had a >>> promotional postcard made and could send that. >>> >>> Hope this isn't too annoying, Henry. I very much want to do what is >>> right by my chapter and will soon have more time to deal with it when I >>> retire. Even if I am no longer chapter chair, I would still do what needs >>> to be done. I just question that it ALL needs to go into the archive. If >>> it is too daunting, people just won't do it. Like me, for example. >>> >>> Thanks- >>> >>> Jennifer >>> >>> >>> On Mon, May 9, 2022 at 1:45 PM Henry Hébert < >>> vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote: >>> >>>> Hey folks, >>>> >>>> This spring has been busier than expected, so I'm a little late getting >>>> this together. I'm hoping we can find a good time to gather for our next >>>> chapter chair meeting. >>>> >>>> *Here's a poll for some days at the end of May/beginning of June: * >>>> *https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/bDkO2Dna* >>>> <https://doodle.com/meeting/participate/id/bDkO2Dna> >>>> >>>> *Please indicate your availability by end of day Friday, May 13th.* >>>> >>>> With the different time zones and some folks not able to join us during >>>> their 9-5, it's tricky to find something during the week. I hate for folks >>>> to have to sacrifice their weekends, but that may be all that we can get. >>>> >>>> I'd like to focus this meeting on documentation. This can include >>>> everything from policy documents, position descriptions, transition >>>> manuals, shared account management, etc. What strategies have you employed >>>> that are working well? What are your pain points? Start thinking about what >>>> you would like to share and questions you may have for the group. If you >>>> have examples of good documentation that you would be willing to share, >>>> please bring to the meeting or post here. Obviously just make sure there >>>> isn't any sensitive information inside first. >>>> >>>> Thanks all! >>>> HH >>>> >>>> /////////////////////////////////////////////////////// >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> *Henry Hebert *(he/him) >>>> >>>> Vice President, Guild of Book Workers >>>> >>>> 919.360.3425 | vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org >>>> _______________________________________________ >>>> GBWCHAP mailing list -- gbwchap@list.guildofbookworkers.org >>>> To unsubscribe send an email to >>>> gbwchap-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >>>> >>> _______________________________________________ >>> GBWCHAP mailing list -- gbwchap@list.guildofbookworkers.org >>> To unsubscribe send an email to >>> gbwchap-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >>> >> >> >> -- >> >> /////////////////////////////////////////////////////// >> >> >> >> *Henry Hebert *(he/him) >> >> Vice President, Guild of Book Workers >> >> 919.360.3425 | vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org >> > > > -- > > /////////////////////////////////////////////////////// > > > > *Henry Hebert *(he/him) > > Vice President, Guild of Book Workers > > 919.360.3425 | vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org > _______________________________________________ > GBWCHAP mailing list -- gbwchap@list.guildofbookworkers.org > To unsubscribe send an email to gbwchap-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org > _______________________________________________ > GBWCHAP mailing list -- gbwchap@list.guildofbookworkers.org > To unsubscribe send an email to gbwchap-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org > -- /////////////////////////////////////////////////////// *Henry Hebert *(he/him) Vice President, Guild of Book Workers 919.360.3425 | vicepresident@guildofbookworkers.org