gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org

Communication tool for the GBW Board of Directors

View all threads

Consolidated past standards page

HH
Henry Hebert
Thu, Sep 7, 2023 8:45 PM

I thought I'd throw this out to everyone on the board to get some feedback.

While we were migrating over to the new website, I realized that we have 3
different pages that list our past Standards meetings and link to various
resources:

These were all built at different times, on various web platforms, so they
all looked different and I was not very consistent in styling the new
versions. But it seems kind of silly to make members bounce back and forth
between the different pages to, for example, get all the links for a
specific talk. Not to mention it's a lot of work for volunteers to update
seemingly the same text in a bunch of different places.

So I'd like to build out a single page that links to absolutely everything
for each event. Here's my concept:
https://guildofbookworkers.org/past-standards-draft

It's modeled a bit on our Past Exhibits page. I realized there is a lot of
information in the individual event pages from previous meetings (like
schedule and tours, not to mention the bespoke logos) that effectively
becomes inaccessible when we put up the page for the upcoming meeting. A
lot of that content is still on the server, so I'd like to make it
accessible again. There's a direct link to the December newsletter for a
given year so you can find the summary articles. We can even link to the
image gallery for a Standards if we have those. The streaming discount
codes show up on the right hand side if you are logged in and have a
current membership.

Does this seem like a logical/intuitive layout? Is there anything else that
could go here that I'm forgetting?? Any suggestions appreciated!
Thanks,
HH

I thought I'd throw this out to everyone on the board to get some feedback. While we were migrating over to the new website, I realized that we have 3 different pages that list our past Standards meetings and link to various resources: - Streaming Video page: https://guildofbookworkers.org/content/standards-presentation-videos - Handouts page: https://guildofbookworkers.org/content/standards-history-and-handouts - Library video page: https://guildofbookworkers.org/content/library-video These were all built at different times, on various web platforms, so they all looked different and I was not very consistent in styling the new versions. But it seems kind of silly to make members bounce back and forth between the different pages to, for example, get all the links for a specific talk. Not to mention it's a lot of work for volunteers to update seemingly the same text in a bunch of different places. So I'd like to build out a single page that links to absolutely everything for each event. Here's my concept: https://guildofbookworkers.org/past-standards-draft It's modeled a bit on our Past Exhibits page. I realized there is a lot of information in the individual event pages from previous meetings (like schedule and tours, not to mention the bespoke logos) that effectively becomes inaccessible when we put up the page for the upcoming meeting. A lot of that content is still on the server, so I'd like to make it accessible again. There's a direct link to the December newsletter for a given year so you can find the summary articles. We can even link to the image gallery for a Standards if we have those. The streaming discount codes show up on the right hand side if you are logged in and have a current membership. Does this seem like a logical/intuitive layout? Is there anything else that could go here that I'm forgetting?? Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks, HH
jafenton67@gmail.com
Thu, Sep 7, 2023 8:59 PM

Henry-anytime information can be consolidated and searching for it can be simplified/standardized, it improves access. And giving the internet source address (not just a link which can get broken) would also be nice.

This looks really good to me.

Jodee

--

Henry-anytime information can be consolidated and searching for it can be simplified/standardized, it improves access. And giving the internet source address (not just a link which can get broken) would also be nice. This looks really good to me. Jodee From: Henry Hebert <henry.j.hebert@gmail.com> Sent: Thursday, September 7, 2023 1:45 PM To: Communication tool for the GBW Board of Directors <gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org> Subject: [GBW_EXEC] Consolidated past standards page I thought I'd throw this out to everyone on the board to get some feedback. While we were migrating over to the new website, I realized that we have 3 different pages that list our past Standards meetings and link to various resources: - Streaming Video page: https://guildofbookworkers.org/content/standards-presentation-videos - Handouts page: https://guildofbookworkers.org/content/standards-history-and-handouts - Library video page: https://guildofbookworkers.org/content/library-video These were all built at different times, on various web platforms, so they all looked different and I was not very consistent in styling the new versions. But it seems kind of silly to make members bounce back and forth between the different pages to, for example, get all the links for a specific talk. Not to mention it's a lot of work for volunteers to update seemingly the same text in a bunch of different places. So I'd like to build out a single page that links to absolutely everything for each event. Here's my concept: https://guildofbookworkers.org/past-standards-draft It's modeled a bit on our Past Exhibits page. I realized there is a lot of information in the individual event pages from previous meetings (like schedule and tours, not to mention the bespoke logos) that effectively becomes inaccessible when we put up the page for the upcoming meeting. A lot of that content is still on the server, so I'd like to make it accessible again. There's a direct link to the December newsletter for a given year so you can find the summary articles. We can even link to the image gallery for a Standards if we have those. The streaming discount codes show up on the right hand side if you are logged in and have a current membership. Does this seem like a logical/intuitive layout? Is there anything else that could go here that I'm forgetting?? Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks, HH -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Northwest Chapter" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to northwestgroup+unsubscribe@guildofbookworkers.org <mailto:northwestgroup+unsubscribe@guildofbookworkers.org> .
SK

I would just like to Thank Henry for all his work on this website!!

Shannon

Sent from space

On Sep 7, 2023, at 5:15 PM, jafenton67@gmail.com wrote:

@font-face { font-family: "Cambria Math"; }
@font-face { font-family: Calibri; }
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in; font-size: 11pt; font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; }
a:link, span.MsoHyperlink { color: blue; text-decoration: underline; }
span.EmailStyle19 { font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; color: windowtext; }
.MsoChpDefault { font-family: Calibri, sans-serif; }
@page WordSection1 { size: 8.5in 11in; margin: 1in; }
div.WordSection1 { page: WordSection1; }Henry-anytime information can be consolidated and searching for it can be simplified/standardized, it improves access. And giving the internet source address (not just a link which can get broken) would also be nice.

This looks really good to me.

Jodee

[...]

JP
Jennifer Pellecchia
Thu, Sep 7, 2023 10:02 PM

Henry,

This is wonderful, and a really thoughtful way to corral all of this info.
I am especially delighted that all of the event websites will be preserved
and public - they have proven to be oddly useful at times!

In appearance, it's a tiny bit busy to my eye. I'm wondering if we
could eliminate the Pamela Barrios quote in favor of a little more white
space? The box around it seems to emphasize  some info that doesn't apply
to our current format.

Do you have a timeline for when you'd like to make this public? I'm asking
because I'm working toward a goal of posting this year's Standards handouts
to the GBW website a little before Standards for people to be able to
access the pdfs during presentations. I'd love to be able to point people
to it, perhaps using a QR code, at Standards, if that gives you enough time.

Thanks so much for your work on this. It's a great idea.

Jenn

On Thu, Sep 7, 2023 at 4:45 PM Henry Hebert henry.j.hebert@gmail.com
wrote:

[...]

Henry, This is wonderful, and a really thoughtful way to corral all of this info. I am especially delighted that all of the event websites will be preserved and public - they have proven to be oddly useful at times! In appearance, it's a tiny bit busy to my eye. I'm wondering if we could eliminate the Pamela Barrios quote in favor of a little more white space? The box around it seems to emphasize some info that doesn't apply to our current format. Do you have a timeline for when you'd like to make this public? I'm asking because I'm working toward a goal of posting this year's Standards handouts to the GBW website a little before Standards for people to be able to access the pdfs during presentations. I'd love to be able to point people to it, perhaps using a QR code, at Standards, if that gives you enough time. Thanks so much for your work on this. It's a great idea. Jenn On Thu, Sep 7, 2023 at 4:45 PM Henry Hebert <henry.j.hebert@gmail.com> wrote: > I thought I'd throw this out to everyone on the board to get some > feedback. > > While we were migrating over to the new website, I realized that we have 3 > different pages that list our past Standards meetings and link to various > resources: > - Streaming Video page: > https://guildofbookworkers.org/content/standards-presentation-videos > - Handouts page: > https://guildofbookworkers.org/content/standards-history-and-handouts > - Library video page: https://guildofbookworkers.org/content/library-video > > These were all built at different times, on various web platforms, so they > all looked different and I was not very consistent in styling the new > versions. But it seems kind of silly to make members bounce back and forth > between the different pages to, for example, get all the links for a > specific talk. Not to mention it's a lot of work for volunteers to update > seemingly the same text in a bunch of different places. > > So I'd like to build out a single page that links to absolutely everything > for each event. Here's my concept: > https://guildofbookworkers.org/past-standards-draft > > It's modeled a bit on our Past Exhibits page. I realized there is a lot of > information in the individual event pages from previous meetings (like > schedule and tours, not to mention the bespoke logos) that effectively > becomes inaccessible when we put up the page for the upcoming meeting. A > lot of that content is still on the server, so I'd like to make it > accessible again. There's a direct link to the December newsletter for a > given year so you can find the summary articles. We can even link to the > image gallery for a Standards if we have those. The streaming discount > codes show up on the right hand side if you are logged in and have a > current membership. > > Does this seem like a logical/intuitive layout? Is there anything else > that could go here that I'm forgetting?? Any suggestions appreciated! > Thanks, > HH > > > > > _______________________________________________ > GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org > To unsubscribe send an email to gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >
HH
Henry Hebert
Fri, Sep 8, 2023 2:37 PM

Thanks for these comments!

I've shifted the Barrios quote to appear as one of the random quotes on the
homepage and centered the list of previous chairs to give a little more
open space.

I should be able to get this done before the meeting in California. If you
want to just point the QR code to the URL
https://guildofbookworkers.org/past-standards, I'll make sure it is live
before the 27th. I'll build out a space for 2023 to add the new handouts.

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for these comments! I've shifted the Barrios quote to appear as one of the random quotes on the homepage and centered the list of previous chairs to give a little more open space. I should be able to get this done before the meeting in California. If you want to just point the QR code to the URL https://guildofbookworkers.org/past-standards, I'll make sure it is live before the 27th. I'll build out a space for 2023 to add the new handouts. On Thu, Sep 7, 2023 at 6:03 PM Jennifer Pellecchia < standards@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote: > Henry, > > This is wonderful, and a really thoughtful way to corral all of this info. > I am especially delighted that all of the event websites will be preserved > and public - they have proven to be oddly useful at times! > > In appearance, it's a tiny bit busy to my eye. I'm wondering if we > could eliminate the Pamela Barrios quote in favor of a little more white > space? The box around it seems to emphasize some info that doesn't apply > to our current format. > > Do you have a timeline for when you'd like to make this public? I'm asking > because I'm working toward a goal of posting this year's Standards handouts > to the GBW website a little before Standards for people to be able to > access the pdfs during presentations. I'd love to be able to point people > to it, perhaps using a QR code, at Standards, if that gives you enough time. > > Thanks so much for your work on this. It's a great idea. > > Jenn > > On Thu, Sep 7, 2023 at 4:45 PM Henry Hebert <henry.j.hebert@gmail.com> > wrote: > >> I thought I'd throw this out to everyone on the board to get some >> feedback. >> >> While we were migrating over to the new website, I realized that we have >> 3 different pages that list our past Standards meetings and link to various >> resources: >> - Streaming Video page: >> https://guildofbookworkers.org/content/standards-presentation-videos >> - Handouts page: >> https://guildofbookworkers.org/content/standards-history-and-handouts >> - Library video page: >> https://guildofbookworkers.org/content/library-video >> >> These were all built at different times, on various web platforms, so >> they all looked different and I was not very consistent in styling the new >> versions. But it seems kind of silly to make members bounce back and forth >> between the different pages to, for example, get all the links for a >> specific talk. Not to mention it's a lot of work for volunteers to update >> seemingly the same text in a bunch of different places. >> >> So I'd like to build out a single page that links to absolutely >> everything for each event. Here's my concept: >> https://guildofbookworkers.org/past-standards-draft >> >> It's modeled a bit on our Past Exhibits page. I realized there is a lot >> of information in the individual event pages from previous meetings (like >> schedule and tours, not to mention the bespoke logos) that effectively >> becomes inaccessible when we put up the page for the upcoming meeting. A >> lot of that content is still on the server, so I'd like to make it >> accessible again. There's a direct link to the December newsletter for a >> given year so you can find the summary articles. We can even link to the >> image gallery for a Standards if we have those. The streaming discount >> codes show up on the right hand side if you are logged in and have a >> current membership. >> >> Does this seem like a logical/intuitive layout? Is there anything else >> that could go here that I'm forgetting?? Any suggestions appreciated! >> Thanks, >> HH >> >> >> >> >> _______________________________________________ >> GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org >> To unsubscribe send an email to gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >> > _______________________________________________ > GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org > To unsubscribe send an email to gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >
HH
Henry Hebert
Thu, Sep 14, 2023 2:55 PM

Ok I think this page is done: https://guildofbookworkers.org/past-standards

I've changed the menus and updated the video links on the library page to
point there. I was able to resurrect past standards event pages back to
2010 using the Wayback Machine. The older ones look a little rough, but all
the info is there. The oldest logo I could find is from 2011.

Let me know if you see any errors on that page!
HH

wrote:

[...]

Ok I think this page is done: https://guildofbookworkers.org/past-standards I've changed the menus and updated the video links on the library page to point there. I was able to resurrect past standards event pages back to 2010 using the Wayback Machine. The older ones look a little rough, but all the info is there. The oldest logo I could find is from 2011. Let me know if you see any errors on that page! HH On Fri, Sep 8, 2023 at 10:37 AM Henry Hebert <henry.j.hebert@gmail.com> wrote: > Thanks for these comments! > > I've shifted the Barrios quote to appear as one of the random quotes on > the homepage and centered the list of previous chairs to give a little more > open space. > > I should be able to get this done before the meeting in California. If you > want to just point the QR code to the URL > https://guildofbookworkers.org/past-standards, I'll make sure it is live > before the 27th. I'll build out a space for 2023 to add the new handouts. > > > > On Thu, Sep 7, 2023 at 6:03 PM Jennifer Pellecchia < > standards@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote: > >> Henry, >> >> This is wonderful, and a really thoughtful way to corral all of this >> info. I am especially delighted that all of the event websites will be >> preserved and public - they have proven to be oddly useful at times! >> >> In appearance, it's a tiny bit busy to my eye. I'm wondering if we >> could eliminate the Pamela Barrios quote in favor of a little more white >> space? The box around it seems to emphasize some info that doesn't apply >> to our current format. >> >> Do you have a timeline for when you'd like to make this public? I'm >> asking because I'm working toward a goal of posting this year's Standards >> handouts to the GBW website a little before Standards for people to be able >> to access the pdfs during presentations. I'd love to be able to point >> people to it, perhaps using a QR code, at Standards, if that gives you >> enough time. >> >> Thanks so much for your work on this. It's a great idea. >> >> Jenn >> >> On Thu, Sep 7, 2023 at 4:45 PM Henry Hebert <henry.j.hebert@gmail.com> >> wrote: >> >>> I thought I'd throw this out to everyone on the board to get some >>> feedback. >>> >>> While we were migrating over to the new website, I realized that we have >>> 3 different pages that list our past Standards meetings and link to various >>> resources: >>> - Streaming Video page: >>> https://guildofbookworkers.org/content/standards-presentation-videos >>> - Handouts page: >>> https://guildofbookworkers.org/content/standards-history-and-handouts >>> - Library video page: >>> https://guildofbookworkers.org/content/library-video >>> >>> These were all built at different times, on various web platforms, so >>> they all looked different and I was not very consistent in styling the new >>> versions. But it seems kind of silly to make members bounce back and forth >>> between the different pages to, for example, get all the links for a >>> specific talk. Not to mention it's a lot of work for volunteers to update >>> seemingly the same text in a bunch of different places. >>> >>> So I'd like to build out a single page that links to absolutely >>> everything for each event. Here's my concept: >>> https://guildofbookworkers.org/past-standards-draft >>> >>> It's modeled a bit on our Past Exhibits page. I realized there is a lot >>> of information in the individual event pages from previous meetings (like >>> schedule and tours, not to mention the bespoke logos) that effectively >>> becomes inaccessible when we put up the page for the upcoming meeting. A >>> lot of that content is still on the server, so I'd like to make it >>> accessible again. There's a direct link to the December newsletter for a >>> given year so you can find the summary articles. We can even link to the >>> image gallery for a Standards if we have those. The streaming discount >>> codes show up on the right hand side if you are logged in and have a >>> current membership. >>> >>> Does this seem like a logical/intuitive layout? Is there anything else >>> that could go here that I'm forgetting?? Any suggestions appreciated! >>> Thanks, >>> HH >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> _______________________________________________ >>> GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org >>> To unsubscribe send an email to >>> gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >>> >> _______________________________________________ >> GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org >> To unsubscribe send an email to gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >> >
JP
Jennifer Pellecchia
Thu, Sep 14, 2023 3:26 PM

Oh, wow - this is looking great, and I love how thorough it is. It's great
to get so much Standards history in one place.

Is this going to be the official url for the page? If so, I might ask the
Newsletter team to make a QR code for the welcome packet - they are great
at that!

Presenter handouts are rolling in. I've asked for them to arrive no later
than 9/20, so hopefully that will be plenty of time to get the files
uploaded to the site.

Thank you so, so much for your work on this, Henry. I'm really happy we'll
get to share this with the membership at Standards.

Jenn

wrote:

[...]

Oh, wow - this is looking great, and I love how thorough it is. It's great to get so much Standards history in one place. Is this going to be the official url for the page? If so, I might ask the Newsletter team to make a QR code for the welcome packet - they are great at that! Presenter handouts are rolling in. I've asked for them to arrive no later than 9/20, so hopefully that will be plenty of time to get the files uploaded to the site. Thank you so, so much for your work on this, Henry. I'm really happy we'll get to share this with the membership at Standards. Jenn On Thu, Sep 14, 2023 at 10:56 AM Henry Hebert <henry.j.hebert@gmail.com> wrote: > Ok I think this page is done: > https://guildofbookworkers.org/past-standards > > I've changed the menus and updated the video links on the library page to > point there. I was able to resurrect past standards event pages back to > 2010 using the Wayback Machine. The older ones look a little rough, but all > the info is there. The oldest logo I could find is from 2011. > > Let me know if you see any errors on that page! > HH > > On Fri, Sep 8, 2023 at 10:37 AM Henry Hebert <henry.j.hebert@gmail.com> > wrote: > >> Thanks for these comments! >> >> I've shifted the Barrios quote to appear as one of the random quotes on >> the homepage and centered the list of previous chairs to give a little more >> open space. >> >> I should be able to get this done before the meeting in California. If >> you want to just point the QR code to the URL >> https://guildofbookworkers.org/past-standards, I'll make sure it is live >> before the 27th. I'll build out a space for 2023 to add the new handouts. >> >> >> >> On Thu, Sep 7, 2023 at 6:03 PM Jennifer Pellecchia < >> standards@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote: >> >>> Henry, >>> >>> This is wonderful, and a really thoughtful way to corral all of this >>> info. I am especially delighted that all of the event websites will be >>> preserved and public - they have proven to be oddly useful at times! >>> >>> In appearance, it's a tiny bit busy to my eye. I'm wondering if we >>> could eliminate the Pamela Barrios quote in favor of a little more white >>> space? The box around it seems to emphasize some info that doesn't apply >>> to our current format. >>> >>> Do you have a timeline for when you'd like to make this public? I'm >>> asking because I'm working toward a goal of posting this year's Standards >>> handouts to the GBW website a little before Standards for people to be able >>> to access the pdfs during presentations. I'd love to be able to point >>> people to it, perhaps using a QR code, at Standards, if that gives you >>> enough time. >>> >>> Thanks so much for your work on this. It's a great idea. >>> >>> Jenn >>> >>> On Thu, Sep 7, 2023 at 4:45 PM Henry Hebert <henry.j.hebert@gmail.com> >>> wrote: >>> >>>> I thought I'd throw this out to everyone on the board to get some >>>> feedback. >>>> >>>> While we were migrating over to the new website, I realized that we >>>> have 3 different pages that list our past Standards meetings and link to >>>> various resources: >>>> - Streaming Video page: >>>> https://guildofbookworkers.org/content/standards-presentation-videos >>>> - Handouts page: >>>> https://guildofbookworkers.org/content/standards-history-and-handouts >>>> - Library video page: >>>> https://guildofbookworkers.org/content/library-video >>>> >>>> These were all built at different times, on various web platforms, so >>>> they all looked different and I was not very consistent in styling the new >>>> versions. But it seems kind of silly to make members bounce back and forth >>>> between the different pages to, for example, get all the links for a >>>> specific talk. Not to mention it's a lot of work for volunteers to update >>>> seemingly the same text in a bunch of different places. >>>> >>>> So I'd like to build out a single page that links to absolutely >>>> everything for each event. Here's my concept: >>>> https://guildofbookworkers.org/past-standards-draft >>>> >>>> It's modeled a bit on our Past Exhibits page. I realized there is a lot >>>> of information in the individual event pages from previous meetings (like >>>> schedule and tours, not to mention the bespoke logos) that effectively >>>> becomes inaccessible when we put up the page for the upcoming meeting. A >>>> lot of that content is still on the server, so I'd like to make it >>>> accessible again. There's a direct link to the December newsletter for a >>>> given year so you can find the summary articles. We can even link to the >>>> image gallery for a Standards if we have those. The streaming discount >>>> codes show up on the right hand side if you are logged in and have a >>>> current membership. >>>> >>>> Does this seem like a logical/intuitive layout? Is there anything else >>>> that could go here that I'm forgetting?? Any suggestions appreciated! >>>> Thanks, >>>> HH >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> _______________________________________________ >>>> GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org >>>> To unsubscribe send an email to >>>> gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >>>> >>> _______________________________________________ >>> GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org >>> To unsubscribe send an email to >>> gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >>> >> _______________________________________________ > GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org > To unsubscribe send an email to gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >
HH
Henry Hebert
Thu, Sep 14, 2023 3:37 PM

Yes, the URL will remain the same so you can point the QR code there.

On Thu, Sep 14, 2023 at 11:26 AM Jennifer Pellecchia <

wrote:

[...]

Yes, the URL will remain the same so you can point the QR code there. On Thu, Sep 14, 2023 at 11:26 AM Jennifer Pellecchia < standards@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote: > Oh, wow - this is looking great, and I love how thorough it is. It's great > to get so much Standards history in one place. > > Is this going to be the official url for the page? If so, I might ask the > Newsletter team to make a QR code for the welcome packet - they are great > at that! > > Presenter handouts are rolling in. I've asked for them to arrive no later > than 9/20, so hopefully that will be plenty of time to get the files > uploaded to the site. > > Thank you so, so much for your work on this, Henry. I'm really happy we'll > get to share this with the membership at Standards. > > Jenn > > On Thu, Sep 14, 2023 at 10:56 AM Henry Hebert <henry.j.hebert@gmail.com> > wrote: > >> Ok I think this page is done: >> https://guildofbookworkers.org/past-standards >> >> I've changed the menus and updated the video links on the library page to >> point there. I was able to resurrect past standards event pages back to >> 2010 using the Wayback Machine. The older ones look a little rough, but all >> the info is there. The oldest logo I could find is from 2011. >> >> Let me know if you see any errors on that page! >> HH >> >> On Fri, Sep 8, 2023 at 10:37 AM Henry Hebert <henry.j.hebert@gmail.com> >> wrote: >> >>> Thanks for these comments! >>> >>> I've shifted the Barrios quote to appear as one of the random quotes on >>> the homepage and centered the list of previous chairs to give a little more >>> open space. >>> >>> I should be able to get this done before the meeting in California. If >>> you want to just point the QR code to the URL >>> https://guildofbookworkers.org/past-standards, I'll make sure it is >>> live before the 27th. I'll build out a space for 2023 to add the new >>> handouts. >>> >>> >>> >>> On Thu, Sep 7, 2023 at 6:03 PM Jennifer Pellecchia < >>> standards@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote: >>> >>>> Henry, >>>> >>>> This is wonderful, and a really thoughtful way to corral all of this >>>> info. I am especially delighted that all of the event websites will be >>>> preserved and public - they have proven to be oddly useful at times! >>>> >>>> In appearance, it's a tiny bit busy to my eye. I'm wondering if we >>>> could eliminate the Pamela Barrios quote in favor of a little more white >>>> space? The box around it seems to emphasize some info that doesn't apply >>>> to our current format. >>>> >>>> Do you have a timeline for when you'd like to make this public? I'm >>>> asking because I'm working toward a goal of posting this year's Standards >>>> handouts to the GBW website a little before Standards for people to be able >>>> to access the pdfs during presentations. I'd love to be able to point >>>> people to it, perhaps using a QR code, at Standards, if that gives you >>>> enough time. >>>> >>>> Thanks so much for your work on this. It's a great idea. >>>> >>>> Jenn >>>> >>>> On Thu, Sep 7, 2023 at 4:45 PM Henry Hebert <henry.j.hebert@gmail.com> >>>> wrote: >>>> >>>>> I thought I'd throw this out to everyone on the board to get some >>>>> feedback. >>>>> >>>>> While we were migrating over to the new website, I realized that we >>>>> have 3 different pages that list our past Standards meetings and link to >>>>> various resources: >>>>> - Streaming Video page: >>>>> https://guildofbookworkers.org/content/standards-presentation-videos >>>>> - Handouts page: >>>>> https://guildofbookworkers.org/content/standards-history-and-handouts >>>>> - Library video page: >>>>> https://guildofbookworkers.org/content/library-video >>>>> >>>>> These were all built at different times, on various web platforms, so >>>>> they all looked different and I was not very consistent in styling the new >>>>> versions. But it seems kind of silly to make members bounce back and forth >>>>> between the different pages to, for example, get all the links for a >>>>> specific talk. Not to mention it's a lot of work for volunteers to update >>>>> seemingly the same text in a bunch of different places. >>>>> >>>>> So I'd like to build out a single page that links to absolutely >>>>> everything for each event. Here's my concept: >>>>> https://guildofbookworkers.org/past-standards-draft >>>>> >>>>> It's modeled a bit on our Past Exhibits page. I realized there is a >>>>> lot of information in the individual event pages from previous meetings >>>>> (like schedule and tours, not to mention the bespoke logos) that >>>>> effectively becomes inaccessible when we put up the page for the upcoming >>>>> meeting. A lot of that content is still on the server, so I'd like to make >>>>> it accessible again. There's a direct link to the December newsletter for a >>>>> given year so you can find the summary articles. We can even link to the >>>>> image gallery for a Standards if we have those. The streaming discount >>>>> codes show up on the right hand side if you are logged in and have a >>>>> current membership. >>>>> >>>>> Does this seem like a logical/intuitive layout? Is there anything else >>>>> that could go here that I'm forgetting?? Any suggestions appreciated! >>>>> Thanks, >>>>> HH >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> _______________________________________________ >>>>> GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org >>>>> To unsubscribe send an email to >>>>> gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >>>>> >>>> _______________________________________________ >>>> GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org >>>> To unsubscribe send an email to >>>> gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >>>> >>> _______________________________________________ >> GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org >> To unsubscribe send an email to gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >> > _______________________________________________ > GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org > To unsubscribe send an email to gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >
JP
Jennifer Pellecchia
Thu, Sep 14, 2023 3:40 PM

Thank you!

wrote:

[...]

Thank you! On Thu, Sep 14, 2023 at 11:37 AM Henry Hebert <henry.j.hebert@gmail.com> wrote: > Yes, the URL will remain the same so you can point the QR code there. > > On Thu, Sep 14, 2023 at 11:26 AM Jennifer Pellecchia < > standards@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote: > >> Oh, wow - this is looking great, and I love how thorough it is. It's >> great to get so much Standards history in one place. >> >> Is this going to be the official url for the page? If so, I might ask the >> Newsletter team to make a QR code for the welcome packet - they are great >> at that! >> >> Presenter handouts are rolling in. I've asked for them to arrive no later >> than 9/20, so hopefully that will be plenty of time to get the files >> uploaded to the site. >> >> Thank you so, so much for your work on this, Henry. I'm really happy >> we'll get to share this with the membership at Standards. >> >> Jenn >> >> On Thu, Sep 14, 2023 at 10:56 AM Henry Hebert <henry.j.hebert@gmail.com> >> wrote: >> >>> Ok I think this page is done: >>> https://guildofbookworkers.org/past-standards >>> >>> I've changed the menus and updated the video links on the library page >>> to point there. I was able to resurrect past standards event pages back to >>> 2010 using the Wayback Machine. The older ones look a little rough, but all >>> the info is there. The oldest logo I could find is from 2011. >>> >>> Let me know if you see any errors on that page! >>> HH >>> >>> On Fri, Sep 8, 2023 at 10:37 AM Henry Hebert <henry.j.hebert@gmail.com> >>> wrote: >>> >>>> Thanks for these comments! >>>> >>>> I've shifted the Barrios quote to appear as one of the random quotes on >>>> the homepage and centered the list of previous chairs to give a little more >>>> open space. >>>> >>>> I should be able to get this done before the meeting in California. If >>>> you want to just point the QR code to the URL >>>> https://guildofbookworkers.org/past-standards, I'll make sure it is >>>> live before the 27th. I'll build out a space for 2023 to add the new >>>> handouts. >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> On Thu, Sep 7, 2023 at 6:03 PM Jennifer Pellecchia < >>>> standards@guildofbookworkers.org> wrote: >>>> >>>>> Henry, >>>>> >>>>> This is wonderful, and a really thoughtful way to corral all of this >>>>> info. I am especially delighted that all of the event websites will be >>>>> preserved and public - they have proven to be oddly useful at times! >>>>> >>>>> In appearance, it's a tiny bit busy to my eye. I'm wondering if we >>>>> could eliminate the Pamela Barrios quote in favor of a little more white >>>>> space? The box around it seems to emphasize some info that doesn't apply >>>>> to our current format. >>>>> >>>>> Do you have a timeline for when you'd like to make this public? I'm >>>>> asking because I'm working toward a goal of posting this year's Standards >>>>> handouts to the GBW website a little before Standards for people to be able >>>>> to access the pdfs during presentations. I'd love to be able to point >>>>> people to it, perhaps using a QR code, at Standards, if that gives you >>>>> enough time. >>>>> >>>>> Thanks so much for your work on this. It's a great idea. >>>>> >>>>> Jenn >>>>> >>>>> On Thu, Sep 7, 2023 at 4:45 PM Henry Hebert <henry.j.hebert@gmail.com> >>>>> wrote: >>>>> >>>>>> I thought I'd throw this out to everyone on the board to get some >>>>>> feedback. >>>>>> >>>>>> While we were migrating over to the new website, I realized that we >>>>>> have 3 different pages that list our past Standards meetings and link to >>>>>> various resources: >>>>>> - Streaming Video page: >>>>>> https://guildofbookworkers.org/content/standards-presentation-videos >>>>>> - Handouts page: >>>>>> https://guildofbookworkers.org/content/standards-history-and-handouts >>>>>> - Library video page: >>>>>> https://guildofbookworkers.org/content/library-video >>>>>> >>>>>> These were all built at different times, on various web platforms, so >>>>>> they all looked different and I was not very consistent in styling the new >>>>>> versions. But it seems kind of silly to make members bounce back and forth >>>>>> between the different pages to, for example, get all the links for a >>>>>> specific talk. Not to mention it's a lot of work for volunteers to update >>>>>> seemingly the same text in a bunch of different places. >>>>>> >>>>>> So I'd like to build out a single page that links to absolutely >>>>>> everything for each event. Here's my concept: >>>>>> https://guildofbookworkers.org/past-standards-draft >>>>>> >>>>>> It's modeled a bit on our Past Exhibits page. I realized there is a >>>>>> lot of information in the individual event pages from previous meetings >>>>>> (like schedule and tours, not to mention the bespoke logos) that >>>>>> effectively becomes inaccessible when we put up the page for the upcoming >>>>>> meeting. A lot of that content is still on the server, so I'd like to make >>>>>> it accessible again. There's a direct link to the December newsletter for a >>>>>> given year so you can find the summary articles. We can even link to the >>>>>> image gallery for a Standards if we have those. The streaming discount >>>>>> codes show up on the right hand side if you are logged in and have a >>>>>> current membership. >>>>>> >>>>>> Does this seem like a logical/intuitive layout? Is there anything >>>>>> else that could go here that I'm forgetting?? Any suggestions appreciated! >>>>>> Thanks, >>>>>> HH >>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> _______________________________________________ >>>>>> GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org >>>>>> To unsubscribe send an email to >>>>>> gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >>>>>> >>>>> _______________________________________________ >>>>> GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org >>>>> To unsubscribe send an email to >>>>> gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >>>>> >>>> _______________________________________________ >>> GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org >>> To unsubscribe send an email to >>> gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >>> >> _______________________________________________ >> GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org >> To unsubscribe send an email to gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >> > _______________________________________________ > GBWEXEC mailing list -- gbwexec@list.guildofbookworkers.org > To unsubscribe send an email to gbwexec-leave@list.guildofbookworkers.org >
GN
GBW Newsletter Editor
Thu, Sep 14, 2023 5:04 PM

The slug is memorable! It looks great.

Jenn, please remind me in a separate email if you'd like a QR code.

Bridget

Newsletter Committeeguildofbookworkers.org