[GBW] Development of New Leather

Steven Siegel s.siegel at siegelofca.com
Mon Nov 16 07:32:21 EST 2015

It is written in peer reviewed literature that the pickling of skins with
sulfuric acid in the vegetable tanning process leaves "free" sulfur in the
completed vegetable tanned leather which cannot be removed. The "free"
sulfur is a source for a pathway of decomposition of the leather.

As the production of improving upon our currently available archival
qualities of bookbinding leathers, we have produced a quantity of test
leathers which have not been pickled in sulfuric acid. They are: Fair,
Vegetable Goat and our Smooth Historical Goat. Should any one wish a free
swatch or purchase a sample skin,  please contact us at your earliest
convenience.

In the meantime, we are very pleased to note that all of the alum goat which
we had produced was sold out at the "Standards of Excellence" held in
Cleveland in October. The leather has since been re-stocked. It  is
available at only $12/ft.  Two colors are available; cream and white, with
the cream being the more popular.

Our passion is to  improve on current technology in bookbinding leathers and
make the resultant  leathers available at affordable prices.  Feedback from
our customers is highly regarded.

Regards,

Steven Siegel

www.siegelleather.com