[GBW] Potomac Chapter Workshop: The Tunnel Book with Alice Austin

Henry Hebert communications at guildofbookworkers.org
Mon May 18 10:35:47 EDT 2015

The Potomac Chapter is excited to announce their next workshop, The Tunnel
Book, taught by Alice Austin.  The tunnel book sets a stage by enticing the
viewer to look through expanding layers or scenes. In this one day class
students will make two models to explore and understand the physical
expansion of the concertina side panels. We will also construct a cover to
attach to one of our books. Materials will be provided for the books but
students should bring postcards, drawings, prints, photographs or other
collage material that they would like to cut up and incorporate in their
books. We will make our own rubber stamp from an eraser but bring a few of
your favorite art supplies to personalize your books.

*When:*  Saturday, June 13th.  9:00-5:00

*Where:*  Folger Shakespeare Library, Werner Gundersheimer Conservation
Laboratory

*Cost:*  $100 for members, $125 for non-members plus a materials fee paid
directly to the instructor

*To reserve a spot,* RSVP to gbwpotomacchapter at gmail.com

Alice Austin is a Philadelphia printmaker and book artist. She has worked
as a book conservator since 1999 at the Library Company of Philadelphia, an
independent research library, founded in 1731 by Benjamin Franklin. She
teaches book arts courses and workshops for various institutions including,
The University of the Arts in Philadelphia and The Center for Book Arts,
New York. Austin earned a BFA from the Philadelphia College of Art, now the
University of the Arts, and has been an active member of the Guild of Book
Workers since 1998.

She has been awarded several artist residencies including Ballinglen Arts
Foundation in County Mayo, Ireland, the Emily Harvey Foundation in Venice,
Italy, and the American Academy in Rome, Italy. Her work is included in
several private, public and special collections worldwide including The
Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City, The Museum of Modern Art, New
York City, The Victoria and Albert, London, England, Yale University, New
Haven, Conn.

Her artwork is featured in 500 Handmade Books, Magic Books and Paper
Toys,1000 Artists' Books, and Making Handmade Books. Her artist books have
been reviewed in Fine Books magazine and on-line in the New Yorker Book
Bench.