[GBW] Girdle Book workshop with Karen Hanmer, Los Angeles, Sept 25-27

Karen Hanmer karen at karenhanmer.com
Wed Jul 29 16:03:27 EDT 2015

The Medieval Girdle Book- Friday evening September 25 (6pm to 9pm) and
all day Saturday and Sunday September 26-27 (9am to 6pm)

The girdle book is a medieval binding featuring a long extension of
leather that could be attached to a traveler’s belt. The leather
extension often terminates in a decorative knot.

In this workshop, students will construct a girdle book on the
foundation of a typical Medieval binding: Text block sewn on double
raised supports; wooden boards shaped all around, with special attention
given to the inside spine edge to match the text block’s shoulder, then
laced on and pegged; sewn headbands; covered in vividly-colored leather;
strap and pin closure, simple bosses at the corners.

Venue:
BOOKARTSLA a new, nonprofit organization devoted to bringing the beauty
of printing, binding and collecting artists' and other hand made books
to the public. Located in Los Angeles at 11720 Washington Place, our
1600 square foot space houses letter presses, a bindery and workspace
for up to 20 students.

For more information:
http://bookartsla.org/collections/frontpage/products/copy-of-karen-hanmer-workshop-paper-cases-and-wrappers-march-14-15-2015

--
Karen Hanmer
karen at karenhanmer.com
www.karenhanmer.com

Karen Hanmer Book Arts. Since 1997 answering the question
"What will I do with my liberal arts degree?"

NEW BOOK To Serve and Protect: Containers, conveyances, and cosmic happenings
http://www.karenhanmer.com/gallery/piece.php?gallery=newwork&p=ServeProtect

Workshop calendar: http://www.karenhanmer.com/teaching/

For frequent updates on new projects, become my virtual friend on Facebook