[GBW] Book Review: Tricks of the Trade, Confessions of a Bookbinder by Jamie Kamph

Karen Hanmer karen at karenhanmer.com
Tue Jul 28 18:29:35 EDT 2015

Jamie Kamph. "Tricks of the Trade: Confessions of a Bookbinder." New
Castle, DE: Oak Knoll Press, 2015. 6 x 9 inches. ISBN 9781584563341. 144
pages. Hardcover $39.95, softcover $24.95.

Reviewed by Karen Hanmer

"Cherish each step along the way and perform it as completely and
gracefully as possible."

Jamie Kamph’s Tricks of the Trade: Confessions of a Bookbinder is part
memoir, part how-to, and part a collection of essays on the engineering
aspects of binding, all gleaned from this design binder/conservator’s
forty years of experience.

Kamph clearly and generously shares her process, though this is not
intended to be a step-by-step manual, and the book is written with the
experienced practitioner in mind. Binding, repair, design, and finishing
are all addressed. Well-illustrated with diagrams and in-process photos,
plus images of forty of her completed design bindings, the book also
serves as a catalog of Kamph’s work.

Read the full review at

http://bonefolderextras.blogspot.com/2015/07/tricks-of-trade-confessions-of.html

--
Karen Hanmer
karen at karenhanmer.com
www.karenhanmer.com

Karen Hanmer Book Arts. Since 1997 answering the question
"What will I do with my liberal arts degree?"

NEW BOOK To Serve and Protect: Containers, conveyances, and cosmic happenings
http://www.karenhanmer.com/gallery/piece.php?gallery=newwork&p=ServeProtect

Workshop calendar: http://www.karenhanmer.com/teaching/

For frequent updates on new projects, become my virtual friend on Facebook