[GBW] Happy New Year & 20 years Book_Arts-L

Peter D. Verheyen verheyen at philobiblon.com
Tue Dec 31 14:53:33 EST 2013

I would like to take the time to thank everyone
for being a part of the Book_Arts-L community,
whether active poster or lurker. 2014 is a bit
(crazy) special as June 23rd will mark the 20th
ANNIVERSARY of the list. Never thought it would
go on this long (the crazy part).

What started as an antidote to my professional
isolation in the wilderness that was Central New
York quickly grew into the most active book arts
community, a placed where seasoned professionals,
students, and anyone in-between talked shop and
shared generously via their questions and
answers. Back in 1998 I was invited to speak
about the growth of the Internet" as a tool for
book artists at the 25th anniversary of the
Silver Buckle Press in Madison, Wisconsin by
Tracy Honn... That was 4 years into this
adventure, and the talk is online at
<http://www.philobiblon.com/HotType.shtml>. While
the growth in numbers of those online has
exploded, much else remains the same. Some of my
"fondest" memories include teaching folks how to
use email... Looking at the list interface
(subscription, posting, ...) it seems very dated,
Web 0.5ish... Still, it works and is as active as
ever, with many who joined in the first days and weeks still active today.

Listserv archives continue to be accessible and
capture those 20 years while serving as a
resource for all. Some discussions, like "what is
a book" remain popular. Google searches and
statistics point to uses in school papers of all
levels including theses and dissertations...

Since some of you are interested in where folks are, ...

*  Country                  Subscribers
*  -------                  -----------
*  Australia                         23
*  Austria                            1
*  Belgium                            2
*  Brazil                             2
*  Canada                            52
*  Czech Republic                     1
*  Finland                            1
*  France                             1
*  Germany                           11
*  Greece                             1
*  Ireland                            2
*  Italy                              3
*  Netherlands                        8
*  New Zealand                        8
*  Norway                             2
*  Peru                               1
*  Romania                            1
*  South Africa                       4
*  Spain                              2
*  Sweden                             2
*  Switzerland                        1
*  Taiwan                             1
*  United Kingdom                    25
*  United States                  2,498
The US number is likely inflated by those using
.com emails (Gmail, Yahoo, ... from other countries)
*  ???                                3
*
* Total number of users subscribed to the list:   2656
* Total number of countries represented:            25

I could go on, but...

To celebrate, the Bind-O-Rama (also 10th
Anniversary & 11th running) will be an
open/un-themed, but juried exhibition. Details
will be posted later, but I encourage you to
submit what you consider your best work from the
last 10 years (no past Bind-O entries please).
Entries will be due June 1 to give me time for
jurying and putting online in time for June 23rd official list anniversary).

Stay tuned for more details on the Bind-O-Rama
and thank you ALL for being a part of this community and making it yours.

Peter

ps. 2015 marks the 20th anniversary of the Book Arts Web....

Peter D. Verheyen
Bookbinder & Conservator, PA - AIC
Email – <verheyen at philobiblon.com>
<http://www.philobiblon.com>