[GBW] Call for Entries - Three Month Reminder for Book Power Redux

Laura Russell simplybooksltd at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 21:09:17 EST 2013

The book as a structure is the Trojan horse of art—it is not feared by average people. It is a familiar form in the world, and average people will take it from you and examine it whereas a painting, poem, sculpture, or print they will not.

—Walter Hamady

The above quote explains to opportunity of Book Power so perfectly. What a  great chance to have a powerful impact on the issues of our day. This bit of inspiration serves as your three-month reminder for Book Power. Here’s hoping something inspires you during your winter break.

23 Sandy Gallery and the University of Puget Sound Collins Memorial Library, invite artists to participate in Book Power Redux, an international juried exhibition of book art focusing on social and political issues. Artist books can be a powerful vehicle for social change and activism. For this show the jurors have a strong interest in works that shine a light on some of the most vital issues of our day: race, diversity, equality, justice, bullying, poverty, civil rights and more. And, don't forget we are still a country at war. This exhibit is open to handmade book and paper arts related works. Artist books, sculptural books, book objects, altered books, zines, and broadsides are all encouraged. Book Power Redux will start at 23 Sandy Gallery and then travel to Collins Memorial Library at the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma, and will be featured during a national conference focused on Race and Pedagogy.

Deadline for entry: March 14, 2014

A full prospectus and more information can be found here:
http://www.23sandy.com/bookpower2014/callforentries.html

**********************
Laura Russell
23 Sandy Gallery