[GBW] Question about a Tool

Peter Geraty pgeraty at praxisbindery.com
Tue Dec 10 09:03:03 EST 2013

Joanne,

I don’t know how useful this is but after Fritz Eberhardt dies I bought his set of electric tools from Trudi. I was always fascinated that he could shape brass and place it in the various handles he had to tool the unusual shapes he made. There is a tool for single letters of type, one for line and decorative pallets and one, a standard lettering pallet much like the ones you have. The tools were made by L Berens in Hamburg and have a transformer that three tools can be plugged into at a time. The element is in the same location as the one you have but the cord feeds from the end of the handle, a more convenient location for using. I wonder if there is a way to move your cord.

The set up is perfect for a small shop such as the one Fritz and Trudi maintained. They didn’t need pallets, center tools or corners with handles, they only needed the brass tools themselves. I suspect, however that these tools might have been made for production tooling as you could keep your type or pallets on a stove and merely keep switching them out of a constantly heated tool thereby loosing very little time in heating. After all it is the heating of the massive pallet which takes time, not the tiny type so being able to keep the tool at a constant heat is very useful.

I admit I don’t use his tools very often but we do have a heated tool we use in the shop regularly. It is a roll we bought from Fort Hill Engraving many years ago, they still make them for the furniture industry to tool gold foil on tabletops. We had one at Harcourt Bindery which was where I was introduced to it. It is great for tooling gold lines around leather labels or tooling lines on the covers of half leather bindings. Fort Hill sells rolls to go on it but don’t get them they are very poorly made, or at least they were years ago. We have P & S send us rolls with no handle and the hole for the arbor is drilled out to ½” so it will fit the heated roll. In the end it is cheaper to go this way and it is very nice to have the roll at a constant temperature.

Peter Geraty
Praxis Bindery
1 Cottage Street, Room 4-24
Easthampton, MA 01027-1667