[GBW] The Thread That Binds: Bonefolder Bind-O-Rama 2010 Now Online

Peter D. Verheyen verheyen at philobiblon.com
Thu Dec 30 11:04:47 EST 2010

Been spending lots of time laying out the 2011
issue of The Bonefolder this holiday break –
going to be a very full and exciting issue – so
that it can get to all of you in the next two weeks.

As a sneak peek I've decided to release the 2010
Bind-O-Rama of Pamela Leutz's "The Thread That
Binds on the Book Arts Web at <http://www.philobiblon.com/bindorama10>.

The Thread That Binds was introduced in the Fall
2009 issue of the Bonefolder with the chapter on
Craig Jensen, and a review by Jeffrey S. Peachey
was published in the Spring 2010 issue.
Interestingly, the call for entries for this
Bind-O-Rama also brought in 21 entries, including
two from binders interviewed in the book –
Catherine Burkhard and Karen Hanmer. Other
binders interviewed are: Eleanore Ramsey, Tini
Miura, Frank Lehmann, Monique Lallier, Jan
Sobota, Priscilla Spitler, Craig Jensen, Scott
Kellar, Sol Rebora, Timothy Ely, Jim Croft, Cris
Clair Takacs, Don Rash, Daniel Kelm, Peer Geraty,
William Minter, Gabrielle Fox, Don Glaister, and Don Etherington.

Introduction to the Bind-O-Rama by Pamela Leutz

The Thread That Binds began from my desire to
find out about the lives of some of the private
practice bookbinders I had met at the Guild of
Book Workers Standards of Excellence meetings. I
wanted to find out what led them to book work,
where they worked, where they learned, what they
enjoyed about their work, what they didn’t like,
how they made a living. I only planned to visit a
few bookbinders and maybe write an article for
our bookbinding chapter’s newsletter. My visits
grew to include 21 interviews and delightfully
morphed into the book, The Thread That Binds. I
had a fabulous time visiting these bookbinders and hearing their stories.

I am thrilled that this book was chosen as the
book to bind for the Bind-O-Rama and for the
upcoming Lone Star Chapter exhibition. I had the
pleasure to bind my edition in the presence of
one of the people I interviewed, Jan Sobota, in
the Czech Republic. I chose to bind it in Jan’s
three-board binding style. I made it playful, a
charming characteristic I found in most of the bookbinders I interviewed.

So, view ot now online at <http://www.philobiblon.com/bindorama10>.

The book is available from Oak Knoll at
<http://www.oakknoll.com/results.php?s_Title=THREAD%20THAT%20BINDS%3A%20INTERVIEWS%20WITH%20PRIVATE%20PRACTICE%20BOOKBINDERS.|THE&s_ShowPics=1>.

Peter D. Verheyen