[GBW] Washing documents

Tony Farthing tonyfarthing at insightbb.com
Mon Jun 4 16:30:07 EDT 2007

One of my clients has presented me with a late 18th Century printed document which requires some very minor paper conservation.  I'm quite happy undertaking the repairs with Japanese tissue, but we're going to want to wash this item to "freshen it up a little", and then deacidify it, which is not something I typically get too involved in.  Other than distilled water and a large tray of course, what additives would you recommend to wash it in?  For the deacidification I'm interested in using Provenace Paper Saver, and I'm assuming this would be done after washing.

Please excuse my ignorance, I have done this before but not for many years!

Thanks in advance.

Tony Farthing