[GBW] Paper Intensive Workshop Series with Jake Benson, 10/2 - 23, Pyramid Atlantic, Silver Spring, MD

Peter D. Verheyen verheyen at philobiblon.com
Thu Aug 23 06:20:06 EDT 2007

Pyramid Atlantic is pleased to offer the Paper Intensive series with
Jake Benson, co-founder of the Society of Marbling, an international
organization devoted to the preservation and promotion of this ancient art.

Jake Benson will instruct on all the basic techniques you will need
to know for book arts production on Tuesdays, Oct 2, 9, 16 & 23 from
6:30 - 9:30pm.

* Class 1: Non-adhesive paper manipulation: Folding, Scoring, Tearing
and Embossing ----- This workshop will explore different fundamentals
of wet and dry methods of folding, scoring, embossing, and tearing.
Learn new approaches, or further refine skills that are intrinsic to
all the book arts.

* Class 2: Non-adhesive Paper Manipulation: Paper cutting and
Punching ----- Building on the skills learned in the first session,
we will discuss a variety of approaches, procedures, hand tools, tool
maintenance, handling and ergonomics. An easy method of sharpening
and stropping knives and chisels will be demonstrated.

* Class 3: Introduction to Adhesives: Materials and Recipes -----
----- A presentation of simplified polymer chemistry of natural and
synthetic adhesives will allow students to better understand the
various properties, limitations, and aging properties of many
adhesives. Various methods for cooking wheat starch paste and
preparation of methylcellulose will be discussed and demonstrated.

* Class 4: Introduction to Adhesives: Usage and Applications of
Adhesives ----- Building on the skills learned in the first session,
we will discuss a variety of approaches, applications, procedures,
hand tools, tool maintenance, adhesive handling, and ergonomics.
Learn how to use adhesives quickly and efficiently, and mix adhesives
for specific applications.

Please visit our website at
<http://www.pyramidatlanticartcenter.org/> for further details about
this class and our other fall workshops.

Landria Shack
Pyramid Atlantic
Office 301.608.9101 ext 105

<mailto:lshack%40pyramid-atlantic.org>lshack at pyramid-atlantic.org
<http://www.pyramidatlanticartcenter.org>
Pyramid Atlantic is a contemporary visual arts center and gallery dedicated
to the creation, exhibition and appreciation of paper, prints and book arts.