FW: [GBW] musty smell in papers

Shannon Zachary szachary at umich.edu
Tue Aug 21 10:31:01 EDT 2007

There is one technique for sterilizing mildew that I haven't personally
used, but is available for consideration: place the item in an ozone
chamber. Disaster recovery companies have ozone rooms for deodorizing
personal and office goods following a fire. Although I hear that ozone can
be pretty effective, I've never used this method. Ozone is known to
accelerate the deterioration of paper and other organic matter. The
perceptable deterioration is not immediate--probably nothing you would
notice in the next 20 years or so. The big debate is, how much long-term
loss is a reasonable trade-off for rendering the material more useable?
There are no data to guide a judgment call. Even if there were, it probably
wouldn't help us much because disaster recovery services typically don't
have any way to measure the ozone exposure they are inflicting. I have
sometimes suggested this process to owners of personal working collections
that they just want to render useable again for their own lifetime.

Another observation, the BookKeeper mass deacidification process (treatment
at the plant; I've not tried to use the retail spray for this purpose)
seems, as an unintended side-effect, to get rid of that musty odor. The
process isn't intended or tested for this purpose. The Web site for
Preservation Technologies is www.ptlp.com.

--
Shannon Zachary
Preservation & Conservation