[GBW] musty smell in papers

bpeldridge at aol.com bpeldridge at aol.com
Mon Aug 20 17:04:28 EDT 2007

I have been experimenting with two new products to help deal with mold
problems, both of which seem quite promising.  Needless to say, I would
be very interested in hearing from anyone who has had any experience
with either approach:

1.  A product called "Nok-out", which actually is stabilized chlorine
dioxide, that is sold in pet stores to get rid of skunk smell.
According to the manufacturer, it can be used to get rid of most other
odors too, including mildew.  It is a liquid that can be sprayed on or
added to water for washing.  Seems to work, but I am not exactly sure
how, nor how safe it is to use on various materials.  It is a Canadian
product, but there are probably similar US products...  Plenty of
skunks on both sides of the border.

2.  A machine made by Tersano called "Lotus" sold in Canadian Tire
stores in Canada and in Sharper Image stores in the US that produces
super-oxygenated water, i.e. with ozone, as a sanitizer.  Claims to be
effective in removing mold and mildew, causing the bacteria and toxins
to "explode."  The oxygenated water too can be sprayed on or used as
wash water.  It too seems to work, but is water based so needs to be
used on water safe materials...

Of course alcohol (isopropyl) is the old stand-by that is pretty
effective... and formaldehyde vapor if used properly...

Betsy  Eldridge